Kumara Varma-A Friend in Need

He was sitting there looking at the dagger and thinking of what he was about to do.

"Bava!"

He turned and saw her smiling.

"Enti Devasena?"

"Enti enti? Bhojanam vodha? Dont you want food?"

She asked holding her grown up stomach.

"Vastanu. Did you eat?"

"I will, in sometime bava"

"Baahubali ekada?"

He asked knowing that she will not eat until her husband is back. She smiled and looked behind him to see Baahubali coming with some leaves and also a bag full of berries. Smiling at him he handed over the berries to Devasena who smiled happily. Kumara Varma understood why Baahubali had those mud and scratches in his palms and shoulders. He went to earn the treats for his pregnant wife.

Putting a hand over Kumara Varma's shoulders, Baahubali walked inside their hut pulling him along. Kumara Varma looked at this man.

Amarendra Baahubali, who left the Kingdom, throne everything for his love and Dharmam and promise.

He remembered how he entered their Kunthalam to impress his cousin whom he always thought would become his wife. But he always had a feeling that for Devasena's strong and warrior nature, he might not compliment her. This was proved right during their boar hunt.

At that time he did not think much about how his arrows hit the target when he knew that he was not good in archery. But later, he understood that it was the feat of the man who stood beside him.

Kumara Varma chuckled.

"Enti Kumara Varma?"

Baahubali asked. Kumara Varma smiled as he sat in front of his leaf in which their food was served.

"Just thought of the day when all my arrows hit the target right defeating Devasena. Adavi Pandhula Veta"

Amarendra and Devasena too chuckled.

"He thought that I will not catch his act Bava."

"Well, I knew that you caught me the moment you saw me in the jungle."

Amarendra raised his brow. Devasena just gave an admonishing glare and Kumara Varma chuckled lowering his gaze.

"Then what did you think of her Baahubali. She is the clever one in Kunthalam."

"I know."

Kumara Varma saw both husband and wife sharing looks and he himself smiled remembering the Pindari fight. Until then the little doubt he had about Devasena becoming his Vanished as he saw Baahubali and Devasena fight together. It was so divine and there was something about these two that made it impossible to imagine one without the other. And he was happy, genuinely happy that Devasena got the man she deserved.

Above all knowing what he once felt for Devasena Baahubali never minded him tagging along with them. What could he do? All of a sudden everything went downhill in Maahishmati and he just could not leave them alone when it was Baahubali who taught him to man up and fight for the right. So he stood by them. He stood outside their hut every night fighting his sleep protecting the two people who were dear to him. He always stood by Devasena when Baahubali was out on job and stood by Baahubali whenever he needed a hand in anything. On the whole, if Baahubali and Devasena were Ramayya and Seethamma, he became their guard, their Lakshmanudu.

He saw Baahubali feeding Devasena not minding her protests and got up, leaving them.

"Bava?"

"Naaku chaalu Devasena! I will be out. The wind is good"

Saying he moved out smiling as he heard the chuckle and giggle. He once turned and saw Baahubali having his palm over Devasena's stomach and looking into her eyes smiling feeling their child. It was such a beautiful moment for them.

But then he thought of the words of Bhallaladeva who did not even flinch before thinking of killing this unborn child.

Kumara Varma washed his hands and stood watching the moon. If it was his old self, he would have been moping thinking not knowing what to do. He looked at the dagger given to him by Baahubali and decided that it was time. At that moment he heard Devasena's cries and frowned as Baahubali came out in tense.

"Em ayindi"

"Vaidhyuralu Kumara Varma"
Saying Baahubali ran inside

"Em ledu Devasena. Relax!"

"Naakem Ledandi, I am fine. Mana Bidda ki thondara Ekkuva. Just like you, our child is also in a hurry"

And she gave a painful chuckle.

Kumara Varma ran and brought the midwife and Vaidh. He went inside once and saw Baahubali holding Devasena's hand with his eyes showing all the pain his wife was feeling.

He came out and walked into the dark. This family should not suffer because of the selfishness and greed of some people. They should live long and happy for which he could do anything. Including sacrificing himself, but not before finishing off the reason that could harm his family. His maradalu and his Friend.

He decided and took out his dagger as his steps took him towards the palace.