Anita & Isaiah

A n i t a    &    I s a i a h
(Ah-Nita)   (Eye-say-uh)

_______________________
P a r t   T  w o
_______________________

After Isaiah took Anita home that one night nearly three months ago, they slowly started to become friends.

At first it began as simple hellos and acknowledgements in the school hallways. Then, whenever they had a class together, he'd start sitting beside her. Anita was slowly becoming more comfortable with Isaiah's presence so much that she didn't notice that her walls were beginning to crumble.

"Hey, Isaiah?" Anita said as he walked her to class- a now usual occurrence. "Yeah, Nita?" He answered as he swung an arm across her shoulder.

"Do you think you could take me home again today? Penelope has a doctor appointment she can't miss."

Isaiah frowned. "I want to, but my first game is tonight. If you don't mind staying and cheering me on then I could take you home afterward?"

Anita sighed. "I don't know... you know my mom. She'd never let me stay. I want to. I don't want you to think that I don't want to."

Anita watched as Isaiah's face filled with disappointment. "I understand. I don't blame you. I just hate that she treats you the way she does. You're seventeen."

Anita frowned. He was right. She was seventeen. She was old enough to choose how she wanted to live.

"You know what? Don't worry about it. Yeah, I'll be at your game. You can just take me home after." Anita felt all fuzzy and warm as she watched Isaiah's face light up.

"Really? But what about your mom?"
Anita shrugged. "I'll just tell her I'm hanging out with Penelope. She likes her. She will let me."

Isaiah looked troubled. "I don't want to be the reason you to lie to your Mom, Nita."

Anita frowned. "I don't have to lie. I'll just have Penelope come to the game with me after her appointment. I won't really be lying."

Isaiah took a deep breath. "Well okay. I'm really glad you're gonna come and support me. It means a lot." He envelopes her in a hug in the middle of the hallway and Anita lets out a squeak as a blush begins to form on her face.

He pulls away and smiles down at her. "Wait, did you bring a big enough jacket? It's supposed to get chilly tonight." Anita shook her head. "No, but I should be fine, right?"

"Wrong. But don't worry about it. I'll give you one of mine." Anita inwardly smiled at the thought of wearing Isaiah's jacket.

"No! won't you be cold?" She said uncertainty. Isaiah laughed. "Knowing you're with me will keep me warm all night." Anita blushed profusely at that. "But seriously, I'll be fine. I keep extra clothes in my car. I'll give you a jacket before the final bell rings, okay?"

Anita shrugged. "That's fine. I'll be in the library when you're done with class, so just come find me there." Isaiah laughed. "You're always in the library. You know, sometimes I get jealous of all those books you spend your time around. Wish that were me."

Anita blushed and Isaiah smiled mischievously at her reaction. It was cute how easily she reacted to his flirting.

Hopefully tonight though, that flirting would turn into something more.

•••••••

Penelope squealed when she saw the large SEHS soccer hoodie that Anita was wearing. "Do not tell me he gave you his hoodie!" She said as she sat beside Anita on the metal bleachers. "That is so cute!"

Anita hid her blush in the folds of the jacket. "He did." She mumbled.

Before Penelope could say anything, Isaiah jogged up to them in his uniform. "Hey Penelope! Nice to see you." Penelope waved and Isaiah turned his attention to Anita.

"That hoodie suits you." He says whilst not taking his eyes off her. "You should keep it."

Anita shyly smiles up at him. "Um... maybe I will. Good luck on your game."

Isaiah smiles another one of his mischievous smiles. "You're all the luck I need tonight. Maybe a good luck kiss from you will sure up the deal?"

He said it jokingly, but it had a hint if seriousness behind it. Before she could think about it and talk herself out of it, she leaned up and and pressed a light, chaste kiss on his cheek.

They both blushed and Isaiah stuttered a 'see you later' before hurrying back on the field.

Penelope grinned. "So... I'm just gonna assume that you guys are kind of a thing." Anita's eyes widened. "No, no. W-we're just friends. Plus, he would never want to stay with me when he learns that I won't put out. I'm a prude through and through."

"But you both don't want to be. And, just because you don't have sex doesn't mean you can't have a boyfriend." Penelope says crossly. "I've been dating Harrison since forever and we still haven't had sex, and probably won't til we both can handle the responsibility sex may or may not bring."

Anita sighed. "You're right."

"Well what's holding you back?" Penelope inquires.

"You know what's holding me back. My mother is."

"You can't let her rule your life forever."

"I can as long as I am under her roof."

"It's just not right. She treats you like a child! You're seventeen and you still get treated like a naive twelve year old. She controls you!"

"I am naive... and can we just watch the game?"

Penelope dropped the subject and they both tuned into the game. Anita watched with anticipation as Isaiah played his heart out into the field. It was like watching live art. Isaiah put so much passion and energy into the game, Anita felt as if her already cracked walls were falling down around her completely.

And perhaps with a boy like Isaiah, that wasn't such a bad thing.

________

Part two of a mini story.