2. Inspection

A week later

"Cadets, square up for inspection," Bric yells at us. "We have some very special guests here to check over how things are being run. Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Commander Cody."

We all stand straighter as a jedi and clone commander enter the premises. In synch with my brothers, I snap into a perfect salute. The commander glances us over before telling us to relax. With our training helmets and armor, he hasn't picked me out as a mutation yet, even though I'm the shortest here. My brothers are nearly full height, and I only reach their shoulders.

"They seem a good batch," the jedi compliments.

Bric chokes back a snort. "You haven't seen Zulu Squadron, sir."

The commander turns his eyes to our squadron. "Is there something wrong with them?"

This time, Bric laughs openly. "They're probably the worst group I've trained. Tough, sure, but slow as slugs and unruly. That's not even mentioning the mutation."

"Mutation?" the jedi questions as the commander raises an eyebrow.

Bric looks me in the eyes. "Come on, mutt, introduce yourself."

I take a shaky breath, before removing my helmet and stepping forward, revealing my feminine features and the yellowing bruises from Bric and the Beta Squadron. "CT-7897, Blitz, reporting, sir," I say, keeping my voice steady.

"A female clone," the jedi considers. "Interesting." He does not seem entirely displeased, which settles my churning stomach some.

"At ease, cadet," Commander Cody nods, giving a small smile. "I shall have to tell my battalion about our sister in training."

I hold back a grin at Bric's startled expression, stepping back into line between Hotshot and Guru. I put my helmet back on and wait for orders, hardly containing my joy. A clone commander actually accepted my mutation, and from the sound of it, he knows others who would accept me, too.

"Cadets, to the track," Bric calls out, an edge in his voice. "Time to show off what you know."

In every stage of training, Beta Squadron manages to top everyone, as usual. And Bric manages to embarrass my squadron at every stage, as well. Whether it's pointing out that we're the slowest runners, or that only Hotshot can hit the target every time, Bric finds a way to show Commander Cody that we're the worst Squadron there is. That I'm the worst cadet.

"They certainly have a lot to learn," Master Kenobi admits, "but anyone can improve under the right circumstances. That is your job, is it not, Bric?"

I can tell Bric is just becoming angrier every second, and that frightens me. I don't show it, though. I have to prove the chance I was given is worth it.

Then, the unimaginable happens. As Guru misses the target again, Bric yanks him back. Nervous and startled, Guru accidentally hits the trigger, sending a shot past Bric's head. Our entire squadron pales as the room falls silent.

"What kind of clone are you that you can't even hit a stationary target?" Bric seethes. "You'll never be ready for the field at this rate. Maybe you're the mutation on this team."

Bric shoves Guru's shoulder, causing the cadet to stumble. Gritting my teeth, I rip off my helmet and run to stand in front of Guru, shielding him. Bric can't hurt Guru for not hitting the target when he hasn't even given any advice to help the cadet. He's supposed to be our teacher, after all.

"What do you think you're doing, CT-7897?" Bric asks, incredulous, refusing to call me by my name.

"It's Blitz, sir, and I'm protecting my fellow clone," I state calmly. "Rule number one. Maybe Guru has trouble shooting, but he's the best pilot we've got, sir."

"I will ask you once, cadet," Bric tells me. "Move aside and let me teach your friend a lesson. Unless you wish to be made an example."

I feel the rage building inside me. I know General Kenobi and Commander Cody are watching, but I can't help the words that tumble out, sealing my fate. My brothers call me Blitz for a reason, after all.

"I will not stand by while you hurt my brother for your shortcomings as a teacher," I say quietly, but the whole room can hear me.

Before anyone has time to react, Bric's fist has slammed across my cheek, sending me to the floor. I taste something metallic and spit out blood. My lip is busted and I can feel it swelling. But I stand anyway, ready to take whatever he will dish out. Surely not too much, as our guests are watching. Bric raises his arm again, and I close my eyes. But the blow never comes. I open my eyes to see Commander Cody holding back Bric's still raised fist.

"That's enough," the commander says. "Cadets, dismissed to your barracks." He looks down at me. "All of you."

Guru takes my arm and leads me away. "Thank you, Blitz," he wispers. "But you didn't have to do that."

I just shrug, unable to come up with any more words. Commander Cody will probably have me demoted from Zulu Squadron. I'll be put on maintenance with 99 for the rest of my life. I threw my second chance down the drain.

After showering in the barracks that night, I skip dinner to sit on the ledge of the compound. I'm so engrossed in the waves that I don't hear the footsteps. I jump when a hand is laid on my shoulder. I look to see Commander Cody, and make to stand and salute, but he shakes his head.

"At ease, cadet," he says, sitting beside me on the ledge, handing me a roll he must've snuck from the dining hall. I begin to eat it gratefully as he adds, "I didn't mean to startle you, Blitz."

I look down in shame, but answer truthfully. "I thought you were Bric, sir. I come here to think, but he often threatens to push me over and let me drown. To me, drowning is scarier than battling droids. You never know what's under the water's surface."

Commander Cody watches me as I speak, his face never changing. "I cannot alter how Bric treats you, Blitz," he sighs, "but I can say that I'm proud of you. You stood up for your brother, even when it meant putting yourself in danger. That's not to say you couldn't learn to hold your tongue sometimes, but you did what you thought was right. Our brothers could learn from you."

"You really think so?" I ask, wondering how he could think such a thing of me, a mutation.

"I know so," the commander smiles. "I even have a recommendation for when you graduate. I'll put a good word in for you. The 501st, under Captain Rex and General Skywalker. As headstrong as you are, you would fit right in."

"I'd be honored, but... they wouldn't mind that I'm a mutation?" I question earnestly. I need to have an answer. I've heard great stories about Captain Rex and General Skywalker.

"Cadet, I've watched you train all day," the commander tells me. "You have great potential for the clone army, as both a foot soldier and a weapons expert. Who cares if you're a boy or a girl? You're a clone, and that makes you family."

"Thank you, Commander Cody," I grin. "But I really need to get back to the barracks."

I run all the way to the Zulu barracks, where I immediately wrap my squadron in a hug. They are confused, but they know better than to question me by now. They're my family. All the clones are, but especially my squadron. It just wouldn't be home without Guru, Hotshot, Lucky, and Leadhead.