13. Crossing the General

Rex and I are very glad once we see two ships returning to the airbase. Fives and Jesse step out.

"Where's Hardcase?" I ask immediately. Three had left, but only two returned.

"He... didn't make it," Jesse sighs. "We couldn't have done it without him."

A group of three troopers approaches, then. "General Krell would like to see them in the tower," Sargeant Appo tells us. I follow as Captain Rex leads them away.

"You wanted to see them, sir," he asks.

"Indeed," General Krell agrees. "It seems they have accomplished a very brave act. Unfortunately, they've also committed a serious crime by directly disobeying my order."

"With all due respect, sir," Captain Rex steps forward, "the order to attack the cargo vessel was mine. If there's a punishment to be given, it should be directed toward me. I'm their commanding officer."

"Well, it was my idea to begin with," I input. "I should be to blame for even putting the thought in their heads."

"Blitz," Rex snaps, but before he can say anything else, Fives speaks up.

"Sir, Captain Rex and Lieutenant Blitz are attempting to take the blame for actions that were clearly mine," he interupts. "I request that their admissions of guilt be denied and full blame be placed upon me."

"Oh, do you?" Krell asks, and his tone sends shivers down my spine. "You willfully countermand my direct order, and now you have the audacity to request who should bear the punishment of your insurrection!" He turns to Captain Rex and I. "Let me be clear about the act of treason committed by ARC Trooper 5555 and CT-5597. They will be court-martialed, they will be found guilty, and they will be executed. Make no mistake. For crossing me, you will pay the price."

I'm sent to take Fives and Jesse to be locked up in the brig, while Captain Rex stays to try and talk some sense into General Krell. For some reason, Rex doesn't want my loudmouth around during negotiations. I can't blame him.

"Glad I made you stay behind?" Fives asks me, smirking, trying to make light of the situation.

"I would have gladly went along, no matter the consequences. It was my idea, to begin with," I tell him. "But I understand why I had to stay. It's up to Rex and I to hold the battalion together now."

I've only just made it back to the bunks when Dogma enters.

"I need Blitz, Tup, Seam, Hotshot, and Lex," he calls. "Take your rifles, but leave your helmets here. This is an execution squad."

"Execution?" I ask, incredulous.

In a second, Dogma is in my face, but I don't back down.

"General Krell has ordered the immediate execution of Fives and Jesse and personally requested you be a part of the firing squad," he tells me, his tone harsh. "If you want to disobey the general's orders, too, maybe you'll join them."

Hotshot tries to go after Dogma, but I push him back.

"And where is Captain Rex?" I ask.

"He's retrieving the prisoners," Dogma says.

Huffing, I look to the other men who were called forward. "Come on, men. General's orders."

We line up with our rifles and follow Dogma out to the designated area, just outside the tower. I stand in the middle of the squad.

"Line up the prisoners!" Dogma orders.

Fives and Jesse are set to stand before us, their hands cuffed before them.