7. Saving Grace

"After considerable debate," King Katuunko anounces, "I have made my decision. I am sorry, Senator Organa. But for the sake of my people, Toydaria must remain neutral."

"But thousands will die!" I protest, before clamping a hand over my mouth. I should not have spoken. Even now, the councilmen have turned hard eyes on me.

The king grabs me by the hair, pulling me face to face with him. "You will learn to hold your tongue, Sarli," he seethes, his foul breath making my stomach churn.

"But master," I try to reason, "the Twi'leks-"

King Katuunko's large fist collides with my temple, sending me to the floor. I touch my hand to my head, and it comes away bloody.

Lott Dod clears his throat. "You have made a wise ruling, Your Majesty," he says, bringing the council back on track.

A formal dinner follows, but Senator Organa takes his leave just before it starts. I pray he remembers his promise to me.

The dinner party sits, and I begin serving the drinks. Everyone is silent for most of the dinner. That is, until the Gungan, Representative Binks, speaks up.

"Lookie, lookie," he says. "Meesa proposing a conceptual work of art to honor the ambassador of Trade Federation. Uh, let's see..." He takes a platter of fruit. "I'll take that one. Mm-hmm." He then spills it on the floor. "Uh-oh. Excuse me, are you done with that?" He takes all the Toydarians' and Lott Dod's plates and cups, stacking them neatly in his arms.

"Gentlemen and... gentlemen..." he continues, then spots me. "Oh, and lady. Ah, you thought I was going to drop.... I-- Here we go!"

He then stacks the plates and cups in a decorative fashion on the table. Everyone claps, but I see Senator Organa's ship leave out the window. The Gungan is just distracting us.

"Meesa just sharing my Gungan art with yousa and... and meesa," Representative Binks smiles.

"What are you looking at?" Lott Dod asks, turning to look out the window.

Uh-oh. He can't see the ships leaving. Thinking fast, I accidentally trip, spilling wine all over Lott Dod.

"I'm so sorry," I lie. "Let me get you a napkin."

As I rush off, I wink at Representative Binks. I might get in trouble for this later, but helping the Twi'leks will be more than worth it.

That night, King Katuunko calls me to his bed once again, but he goes farther than he did the night before. That night, he takes everything. Every ounce of innocence I have left, he takes from me. He does not care that I plead and sob for him to stop; that I'm in pain. He only cares for what he wants, and that is more than I ever wanted to give.

Two more nights of him forcing himself upon me follow, and it's all I can do to get up in the mornings and attempt to keep him happy. My usual loudmouth ways have long since been buried, and I'm not sure I'll ever be the same again.

This particular morning takes too long to arrive, but when it does, he allows me to wash and dress. I scrub off another layer of skin before pulling my slave outfit back on. It hurts to walk or move, especially in my lower regions.

I enter the throne room, and am immediately called over to King Katuunko. He motions for me to sit on his lap. I hesitate, but comply, feeling filthy all over again. I want to throw up, but I hold the feeling in. Not that there is anything in my stomach to throw up, anyway.

"I'm sorry about the last couple nights, Sarli," the king begins, surprising me. "I had to do that, at least once. For today, I am selling you."

I look at the king, eyes wide. But that means Senator Organa will no longer know where I am. He won't be able to give the right information.

"Selling me?" I ask fearfully. "T-to whom, master?"

"You will know soon enough, dear," the king answers vaguely.

I am still sitting in King Katuunko's lap an hour later, by his command, his hand on my near-bare waist, when two familiar faces in unfamiliar outfits walk in. I want to cry out, but I force myself to remain silent. Standing in front of the throne, in robes and cloaks, is none other than Commander Cody and Captain Rex.

Tears of joy and shame come to my eyes. Joy that I must be saved, and shame for them to see me like this.

"Your Majesty," Commander Cody greets. "We are here to take what is ours."

"You mean, to buy what you fancy," King Katuunko corrects smugly, running a hand through my hair. I can't help the violent shiver that passes through me.

The clone men throw off the robes, revealing their armor. They raise their blasters, pointing them directly at the king.

"No, we're not here to buy," Captain Rex huffs. "We're here to rescue."

"Come on, Blitz," Commander Cody calls, seeing my fearful hesitancy. "Just come over here, and we'll get you out. I promise."

Finally, I painfully slide off of the king's lap, ready to go to my clone brothers. But the king grabs my arm tight, holding me back.

"How about one last kiss, Sarli?" he requests, but I know that tone. It's a command.

I shake my head ever so slightly. "No," I say, trying to pull away. Maybe hearing my name from someone else's mouth brought back some of my old resistance to authority. Just maybe. "Please, let me go." When the king doesn't let go, I try to yank my arm free. "Let me go!"

I hadn't noticed the clones inching closer, but now Commander Cody has a hold on my other arm, and Captain Rex pushes his way between me and the king. When the king still refuses to let go of me, Captain Rex uses the butt of his gun to hit the king, startling him so much that he releases my arm.

Immediately, Commander Cody scoops me into his arms and begins running, Captain Rex on his heels, firing at any Toydarian who tries to stop us. We make it out and board a transport ship, which takes us up and to what I recognize as a Jedi Cruiser. I really am saved.

Commander Cody doesn't set me down until we reach the Med Bay. Generals Kenobi and Skywalker and a young Togrutan girl meet us there, following Captain Rex, who must have fetched them.

"It's been a long time, cadet," General Kenobi greets gently. "We are all sorry for what has happened to you, little one."

I flinch at the term 'little one'. I've mostly only heard the endearment from those who have hurt me.

"It's no one's fault," I answer softly.

"No," Captain Rex disagrees. "I'm the one who took you out there. You didn't even have armor on."

"Well, I'm the one who ordered her to go with you," Commander Cody reminds.

"If that's how this is going, I'm the one who asked for reinforcements. Obi-Wan is the one who sent me to protect the DNA, and Dooku is the one who ordered the attack," General Skywalker continues. "The blame can't be placed on any one person. The fact is, Blitz, you're safe now."

I look down at my lap, not wanting them to see the tears welling in my eyes.

"Blitz?" Commander Cody asks in a worried tone, placing a hand on my shoulder.

As the tears start to fall, I throw my arms around Commander Cody's neck, burying my face in his armor. He hesitates only a moment before wrapping his strong arms around my middle.