9. Interim General

"Masters Krell and Tin will be supporting my troops in the south, while Anakin's battalion comes in from the north and takes out enemy reinforcements," General Kenobi explains. "It is imperative that we conquer the capital city as quickly as possible and hold it."

"Our biggest problem is gonna be the local militia," General Skywalker continues. "The Umbarans have aligned themselves with the Separatists and are heavily armed. ARC Trooper Fives will be assisting my units on special assignment."

"Ready to do my part, General Skywalker," Fives responds from beside me.

"Nice to have you on board," Captain Rex greets from my other side.

"Just like old times, Rex," Fives comments.

"Remember, Anakin," General Kenobi brings us back on track, "Cody and I will be twelve klicks to your south. We're counting on you to take out those local fighters, or, I'm afraid, the capital will never surrender."

General Skywalker sighs. "Does my battalion have to do everything?"

"You seem to always volunteer," General Kenobi replies.

Captain Rex signals us to board the transport, and we're soon under way. I can barely reach the handles above us, gripping it tightly to steady myself.

"There's a lot of surface fire," Captain Rex announces as we pass over the ground fight.

"They ain't got nothing we can't handle," Fives laughs, just before an explosion knocks off the door beside me.

"Hope we don't need that later," I snort, glancing at Fives.

"Oh, shut up, Blitz," Fives groans. I can almost hear him rolling his eyes, and I grin.

"You hangin' in there, Tup?" Rex asks a trooper who is clutching the handle above his head with both hands.

"So far so good, Captain," Tup answers, nodding. I notice his refusal to look out the door frames.

I barely hear the pilot, Hawk, telling General Skywalker that he might have to turn the lights out. Soon enough, however, we've landed and are jumping off the transport and into the battle.

"Go, go, go, go, go, go, go!" Captain Rex is yelling over the chaos. "Take them out! Blitz, with me!"

I follow Captain Rex's lead. Protecting the general as we press forward, firing back at the enemy. All around me, brothers are dying. But I can't stop going, not for a moment.

"This map has a ridge at twenty-three degrees north, northwest," Captain Rex tells the general.

"Good," Skywalker states. "We can use it as a staging area."

"Keep moving," Captain Rex calls to the troopers behind us. "The other battalions are couting on us!"

"Don't stray too far," Skywalker tells us. "The enemy could have this whole place rigged up with traps."

"I can't even see the enemy!" Tup admits.

"In front of us, and not in white," I clarify sarcastically.

"Just because your head's below the smoke," he retorts, but I can hear the grin in his tone.

"That's why they're called the shadow people, Tup," Fives answers.

"Just a vine, Hardcase," I hear Leadhead saying to a trooper behind me.

Seconds later, however, Jek and Fives are grabbed up by the 'vines'. A plant creature with a large mouth and vine-like arms is on the ground. We shoot at it, but it seems to have no effect. Then, it drops Jek into its mouth, eating him whole.