3. Attack on Kamino

6 months later. Zulu Squadron is the appearance equivalent of 16 years old

I wake and get dressed like every other day. My squadron runs to square up, ready to take the test that will seal or deny our graduation. But Bric dismisses us, saying our test will be pushed off. If we survive.

I gulp and look at my brothers. What could he mean, if we survive? What is going on? My squadron heads towards the barracks, but I need to find some answers. I wander the halls until I see a familiar clone with orange highlights on his armor, carrying his helmet beside a bald clone with blue on his own armor. I run up to face the men, not hiding my excitement as I snap into a salute.

"Commander Cody!" I greet. "An honor to see you again, sir!"

"At ease, cadet," the commander says, waving his hand to dismiss formalities. "My friend here is Captain Rex, of the 501st."

"Nice to meet you, Captain Rex," I say, remembering that the 501st was Commander Cody's recommendation for me. "I've heard great stories of your battalion."

Rex smiles a little. "And Cody here has told me of you, little sister. Blitz, is it? I can only imagine what you did to get that name?"

He says it like a question, and I blush, realizing he truly wants an answer.

"I may have hit Bric," I answer quietly. Then, lifting my chin defensively, "He pulled my hair and said I was too weak to join the clone army. I know I shouldn't have hit him, sir. It's my temper."

Rex laughs, and Commander Cody seems amused. That is, until their Jedi generals arrive, looking grim.

"Generals Kenobi and Skywalker," I greet, snapping to a salute. They nod at me, and I take the cue to relax.

"I'm afraid we're not here on leisure, Blitz," Commander Cody explains. "The Separatists are planning an attack here on Kamino. Warn your brothers when you get back to your barracks."

I gasp. "That explains why they cancelled all training today," I conclude. "My squadron was supposed to run the graduation test."

"Good luck to your squadron, then," Captain Rex says.

"Thank you, sir," I answer. "And if you need more troops for the battle ahead, Zulu Squadron will be there."

Captain Rex nods, and I hurry back to the barracks to tell my brothers what I had learned. They are all just as shocked as I am.

Only a couple hours later, the alarms start going off. The compound is under attack. I hear the clanging of something metallic landing on the roof.

My squadron and I agree on one thing. As part of the oldest batch still training, it's our duty to protect our home and the youngers. We split up. Hotshot, Leadhead, and Lucky head out to battle droids, while Guru and I head towards the DNA room. We're almost there when Guru pulls me behind an outcrop in the wall, covering my mouth with his hand.

I can just barely see why. Ahead of us, in the intersection, a clone trooper bearing the orange of Commander Cody's battalion has been slammed into the wall by seemingly nothing. He's clawing at his neck, as though he can't breathe. Next, I see a scantily clothed woman with dark side tattoos enter the intersection. Using the force, she draws the man towards her and onto her red blade. She kisses his cheek before letting him fall, dead. I shiver, and Guru presses us further behind the outcrop, hand still held firm over my mouth.

"Your skills are impressive," a grinding voice compliments. I can barely see the outline of a droid unlike any I've seen before. "Perhaps a match for my own, assassin."

"Count Dooku may have taught you how to swing a lightsaber, General, but that hardly makes you my equal," the woman answers.

"And yet I am the general in charge of this assault," the droid replies. "Remember, assassin, you are to recover the clone DNA."

"Why not just destroy it?" the woman asks snarkily.

"Because the DNA could unlock new possibilities for us," the droid answers.

"Keep playing with your droids," the woman says. "I'll handle breaking into the DNA room."

The droid general grabs her arm. "Shall I provide you with a droid escort?" he asks, trying to rile her up.

Instead, she strokes his face. "My dear General, there is nothing you have that I could want."

The woman and the droids go their separate ways, not noticing Guru and I. We stay frozen for a moment, before a familiar face runs down the hallway. General Skywalker.

"Cadets, what happened here," he asks, seeing the dead trooper.

Guru lets go of me and explains what we saw, and I tell of the exchange between the woman and the droid.

"She went to the DNA room," I finish. "She's going to steal the clone DNA."

"Not if I can help it," General Skywalker promises. "Go back to the barracks; see what you can do there. I'll send Commander Cody and Captain Rex to meet you there."

"Yes, sir!" we salute, before running in the direction of the barracks.