Ogre (Category: Monster)

An ogre (ogress for females) is a being usually depicted as a large, hideous, manlike monster that eats human beings. Ogres frequently feature in mythology, folklore, and fiction throughout the world. They appear in many classic works of literature, and are most often described in fairy tales and folklore as eating babies. But they can be easily killed like any human, even though their size often helps them to scare people away. And though similar to trolls, they have a different mythology and usually have magical powers and are harder to kill.

In visual art, ogres are often depicted as inhumanly large and tall and having a disproportionately large head, abundant hair or bald, unusually colored skin, a voracious appetite, and a strong body. Ogres are closely linked with giants and with human cannibals in mythology. In both folklore and fiction, giants are often given ogrish traits such as in "Jack and the Beanstalk" and "Jack the Giant Killer", the Giant Despair in The Pilgrim's Progress, and the jötnar of Norse mythology, while ogres may be given giantish traits.

In the multiplayer fighter game Tekken 3, produced in 1997, he is the final boss along with True Ogre. Ogre is the Aztec God of Fighting infused with mythical powers and although he has magic, unlike original ogres from folklore, he is from another culture so this information is liable to be flimsy concerning games. In Tekken 5, when Heihatchi is killed by Kazuya and the Jack bots, they release an ogre/devil type creature similar to Ogre called Jinpachi Mishima, who is Heihachi's father, who he locked up and killed because he wanted the Mishima Zaibatsu for himself.

Famous examples of ogres in folklore include the ogre in 'Puss in Boots' and the ogre in 'Hop-o'-My-Thumb' and in fiction, Shrek and Fiona from the Shrek quadrilogy. Other characters sometimes described as ogres include the title character from 'Bluebeard', the Beast from 'Beauty and the Beast', Grendel from 'Beowulf', Polyphemus the Cyclops from Homer's Odyssey, the cyclops in 'Sinbad the Sailor', and the oni of Japanese folklore.

The word ogre is of French origin. Its earliest attestation is in Chrétien de Troyes' late 12th-century verse romance Perceval, li contes del graal. The word ogre came into wider usage in the works of Charles Perrault (1628–1703) or Marie-Catherine Jumelle de Berneville, Comtesse d' Aulnoy (1650–1705), both of whom were French authors. Other sources say that the name is derived from the word Hongrois, which means Hungarian, as of western cultures referred to Hungarians as a kind of monstrosity. The word ogre is thought to have been popularized by the works of Italian author Giambattista Basile (1575–1632), who used the Neapolitan word uerco, or in standard Italian, orco. This word is documented in earlier Italian works (Fazio degli Uberti, 14th century; Luigi Pulci, 15th century; Ludovico Ariosto, 15th–16th centuries) and has even older cognates with the Latin orcus and the Old English orcnēas found in Beowulf lines 112–113, which inspired J.R.R. Tolkien's Orc. All these words may derive from a shared Indo-European mythological concept (as Tolkien himself speculated, as cited by Tom Shippey, The Road to Middle-earth, 45). Some see the French myth of the ogre as being inspired by the real-life crimes of Gilles de Rais.