Chapter Twenty Three

It was the day after I turned eighteen. My birthday was in the fall so it was a crisp sunny day. Children were laughing and playing in tawny leaves. It was a perfect day and I was spending it with the perfect person.

Eli's blue eyes twinkled as he laughed. We had decided to go to a playground and tried to see who could swing the highest. We were both laughing as we tossed playful taunts back and forth. Finally, I was victorious at least until Eli hopped off his swing and pushed me off mine.

"Hey!" I laughed while falling into the soft sand that surrounded the playground, "What was that for?!"

"You're not allowed to win," He said playfully while brushing the sand out of my hair. Meeting his gaze, he helped me to my feet. Giving me a quick hug, he then brushed the sand of my clothes. "Sorry I got so much sand on you."

"Heheh," I laughed, "When have you ever known me to care about a little sand. Surely you know me better than that." Eli grinned widely.

"What, aren't you my sweet delicate princess?" He picked me up and spun me in a circle.

"Stop calling me that," I pouted and he shook his head.

"Never, no matter what happens you will always be my princess," His smile faded and his face took on a calm look, "I have something I want to show you."

"What is it?" Eli knew what I liked very well so needless to say I was thrilled.

"Just, come with me," He turned away from me, but extend his hand for me to grab. We walked to his car, as an uneasy tension filled the air around us.

"Eli?" For the first time in months he was icing me out. Freezing himself and his emotions. I couldn't tell what he was thinking and it scared me. Minutes passed and Eli didn't answer my hesitant question. He stared forward ignoring my very presence. Looking outside, I tried to find out where we were.

"I'm so sorry," He breathed without even glancing towards me. Slowly, I started to recognise what was outside the windows. I saw homes and lonely sidewalks that I had walked across many times. I started seeing houses I knew as my neighbors when I was young, and eventually I saw the home I used to know as my own.

"N-n-no, no please" My world started to collapse around me. My incoherent thoughts came out of my mouth in a mess of pain and suffering, "Eli don't-stop-please- no. Why?" Without realizing it tears started rolling down my face. "You- You worked with gangs. You still do. O-our love.... I-it's not real?"

"Of course" Eli laughed, losing all of his apologetic tone. His voice filled with some kind of horrible humor. Like he enjoyed seeing pain, like he wanted me to suffer, like he didn't think he had a choice.