Chapter 33: Weekend's End

"Don't act so surprised y/n." said Avery.

"I'm not... not really." She replied.

The three remained cross legged on the floor except for Avery, legs casually outstretched, eyes carefully drinking in the day student.

"Roman's my friend," said Bel, "but I'm not sure it's really our place to talk about it."

The boy with violet hair leaned forward, a terrible glint in his eyes.

"If y/n is one of us now, we have to be honest with her." He mused. "It's only fair."

"No it's okay-"

"No y/n," Bel interrupted. "Avery is right. (Though he can't say jack about what's fair and what isn't). It's just that... we don't really know what happened with Roman."

"Why not?"

"Because even I don't know." A cold voice answered.

The girl held her breath with each step the tall night student descended the stairs, her eyes wide.

"I thought you went upstairs." Avery said.

"I did." Roman replied. "Cadere told me to take y/n to her room."

The other two boys eyed each other.

"Is Lucian still-" began Bel.

"What do you think?" Roman asked sarcastically. "And Dimitri has other matters to attend to. Come on princess, let's go."

Y/n got to her feet as Belmont did the same. Avery chuckled although no one said anything.

With a sideways glance at the others and a brief goodnight, y/n followed Roman's lead through the dark, empty hall.

"I can't see anything." You told him.

"Another reason you shouldn't be here." Roman said flatly.

The boy pulled you through the second floor by the forearm. Holding your tongue felt like your only option.

With a begrudging sigh, a flame rose to life on the palm of Roman's hand, illuminating the immense corridor.

"Thank you." You said softly.

At the end of the hall was the room you'd slept in last night. Roman opened the door and let you step inside. As you thought of what to say, the door closed behind you, Roman against the dark wood.

Your heartbeat quickened. You felt eyes on your naked neck.

With an air of eerie calm, Roman crossed his arms, not moving from the door.

"What are you doing?"

"How did you find out?" Roman asked casually.

You stared at him with wide eyes.

"There was too much evidence- it couldn't have been anything else." You said quicker than you would have liked.