II- Chapter 51: Tattletales

A sigh of relief flooded the perpetual silence of the night dorm. She'd held her breath the entire way back as though the slightest sound meant sudden death. Still invisible, Julianne arched her back and raised her head, eager to make herself appear bigger even though she couldn't be seen, and desperate to prove to herself and her enemies, that she was the better chameleon.

Luckily, the double doors were already open. Discretion was in vain- even Julianne's dainty footsteps couldn't be heard over the growing, catty bickering of two night students, succeeding the lightning clack of pool balls shooting apart.

"I didn't do anything to them!" Leyla insisted, cue in hand.

Trinity's sleek blue hair fell over her eyes as she knelt, picking up the yellow striped ball from the carpet, glaring at her opponent across the billiards table.

"You're both such sore losers, it was going in!" Trinity whined. Nobody noticed Julianne enter the parlor, on account of her silence, but also, her frankly being a bit difficult to see.

"I don't think she did anything," Ebony chimed in.

"You BET on her!" said Trinity, pointing like a witness in court. "Why am I playing pool with your telekinetic ass anyway?"

Still grumbling to herself, Trinity stomped to the holder, about to return her pool cue, when something poked her butt. Repeatedly.

"What the- LEYLA!!"

Trinity spun around amidst the other girls' laughter to the ghostly pool cue, jabbing her rear, back, and ribs... in mid air.

Even Julianne's fears couldn't hold her back from joining in, and the other girls watched as she materialized at the foot of the door, pool cue still hovering with as much personality as a piece of Disney furniture. The girls hadn't laughed together like that since, well... never.

"You missed our game," Leyla said. The cue continued poking the night student- prompting Trinity to grab it from the air.

"I was just thinking everyone was getting along too well," Julianne said.

"Is the game over? Did I win the bet?" Bel appeared in the door frame.

"We didn't finish this game, but yes, I beat Trinity... half an hour ago?" said Ebony. "Jury's out on this one."

"Yay!" Bel squealed in delight, inviting himself into the space. He turned to Leyla. "YOU owe me a hundred bucks."

"Whatever, fine..." she brushed him off.

"Dimitri told me to tell you class is starting soon," he said as he pranced back to the doorway. "Cash is preferred but I'll also accept IOUs and favors."

"I thought Cadere wasn't coming back until Friday," Ebony questioned.

"He's not, sooo Dimitri's in charge."

Just as quickly as he came, the back of his blonde head vanished from view.

"Serves you right for using your powers to cheat." Trinity eyed Leyla. "Maybe there is such a thing as justice."

"You guys realize Bel can predict the future, right?" Ebony asked slowly.

"Everyone accuses me of everything, where's the justice in that?" Leyla muttered.

Julianne politely cleared her throat. So much younger than the other girls, it came out as less of a cough and more of a squeak, filling the room with her childish voice, uncannily mature in cadence.

"Some of us in this dormitory are causing more grievances than usual, and I know we all have our differences, but we are outnumbered, so we need to stick together as much as we can."