II- Chapter 41: Vampire Hunting for Dummies

After a missing roommate, vicious attack, and life-changing secret, it's finally fall break, and y/n has been given a deadly task- help find the kitsunebi; the source of Theodore's power and very life. Maurice thinks the night students are involved but with Cadere and Sylabil tightening their reigns on the school, maybe things won't be so bad. That is, until Eleanor has to decide what to do with his newfound knowledge as Simone teeters on the edge of fiction and reality. And what about the night students? Who wants Theodore and for what purpose? Is there more to y/n than meets the eye? Or does a powerful enemy lurk in her very sight?

PART II

During the break you'd work with Maurice. You'd learn what you needed to know. You'd do everything you could.

Then at night, you'd do what you'd already been doing without realizing it; making five of the most dangerous people you'd ever meet care for you. Only this time, there was a life at stake. Maybe more than one.

You checked your watch. Five to nine. Maurice should have been here by now- maybe he meant nine o'clock at night. But your brief worries were replaced by your major worries when he finally did show up, disheveled dark hair and all.

"You look different without your glasses, contacts?" You asked.

Maurice nodded, his attention acutely on you.

The shop wasn't much different from the last time you were here, and the name didn't mean much considering whoever 'Jack' was was not in it. But except for the tall tree growing in the center of the room no longer having any fruit on it, nothing had changed.

Maurice apparently left very early, and yet you had to wait around Delwood for him to let you inside what anyone else would have seen as an alley or taxidermist's (depending on Jack's mood). Nevertheless, you had made it all the way there without running into Simone, Eleanor, or Theo, though you'd wished you ran into him.

Maurice guided you towards the back of the store, past counters and displays, towards what was apparently the washroom. Theodore remained in your thoughts however, and you were kicking yourself now for not seeing it sooner. Even at the start of the year, Theodore would disappear, or run off, and then him taking the almanac, and of course, Simone being worried. You hadn't really noticed the change in him. You wondered what else you were missing right in front of you.

"Ladies first," Maurice said as he held the door open. You raised your eyebrows but didn't disobey. After all, only yesterday you'd been transported through a magical fountain and seen the memories of your friend's brother after drinking plum tea- going to a washroom didn't seem all that wild if you were being honest.

Inside there was only one wooden stall- two if you counted the out of order one. You found yourself confused in the enclosed place. Maurice didn't say anything, out of tiredness or forgetfulness you did not not know.

You watched as he pushed open the 'out of order' stall and although there was nothing in it except for what you'd expect to find in a restroom, he motioned for you to join him. A little hesitant, you did so. Maurice aptly locked the door.

"What are you doing?" You asked after Maurice had been pulling down toilet paper long enough. He seemed to be counting.

"We're going down four floors," he said, as if that somehow answered your question. "Hold on tight."