II- Chapter 43: Meta-Speculation

The next morning you'd felt everything with Roman had been a dream. Secretly you'd hoped you could be friends. It left a sort of happiness in your tummy that quickly went sour at the thought of him possibly stealing Theodore's kitsunebi.

As it was the beginning of the week you had classes again, and like so many times before you sat with Eleanor and Simone, and like so many times before, Theodore was absent at the bell. Only this time you knew he wasn't just late. He didn't show up.

You finished breakfast early, leaving with Eleanor so you could tell him about Roman, leaving out the more... personal, details. Eleanor reminded you that Theodore and Roman knew each other somehow, presumably for a while. Still, until you'd spent more time with him you couldn't say for sure. Sylabil's was the only class you had where your friends were in it, but also hadn't been affected by any seating changes. You were still with some new people who didn't seem particularly interested in getting to know you.

Maurice had given you and Eleanor the same coins he had- one each. These were to open the portals; plaza fountain, koi pond outside Theo's, another portal not far from the lake within the forest, and Jack's bar. You still hadn't met that guy.

But by far staying at his store was the most fun, exciting thing you'd done all year. Despite the unfortunate circumstances, you'd learnt so much from Maurice in just a week. So after class, you headed back over, this time alone.

Much to your relief, Theodore was there too. It was your first time using the portal in the woods- you had to be careful no one saw you.

"How was patrol?" He asked half bitterly half jokingly.

The boy was not well. It seemed mostly to be due to the utter stress he had to have been feeling. His face was paler and his eyes weren't as bright. But mostly it was the missing smile. Knowing he wasn't human was a shock to say the least- one Simone was pretty spot on about- but it was still Theo wasn't it?

You told him you hadn't found anything particularly off, but that your evening was spent with Roman. His weary eyes grew intrigued but you settled his apprehension. Together you headed to the newly dubbed training room.

"Why did you take The Creature's Almanac?" You asked him in the elevator.

"Oh," he said. "It didn't belong to him."

"But why did you take it?" You asked. "And why did you leave it in the common room?"

"Maybe I forgot," he sighed. "Or maybe I wanted someone to find it. Like Eleanor. Or you. Or whoever was meant to find it."

You entered the room together, the weapons being more familiar as well as the strange plants and potions.

"But I took it because I wanted to check something and I couldn't find what I was looking for so I let the universe decide what to do with it," he said. You weren't sure how much that really added up but had no real reason to doubt him. This was Theodore.

"Like I said, I've been here a while. I've lived in that forest a very long time," he went on. "I asked for more chaos, more action, and the universe listened. I should have known better."

"The Almanac was open on a page about kitsunes," you remembered.

"I did that on purpose," he smiled weakly. "I was hoping Eleanor would find it actually. Maurice had been keeping this from him for too long. Granted, I think we can agree this wasn't the best time for him to find out."