Chapter 39: Memory Lane

"No Ellie," the boy said, playfully pushing the other away. "You're not old enough."

"But-" whined the smaller of the two. "That's not fair..."

The boys were recognizable almost at once. Maurice being a number of years older than the  little Eleanor, who couldn't have been more than seven. The scene was surreal, distant, your vision laced with the same milky fog that pressed itself against your mug. You were there,

but you weren't.

Eleanor crossed his arms. Even then he wore glasses- evidently too big for his face.

"What are you always doing in the forest anyway?"

Maurice ruffled his brother's lighter hair.

"Nothing interesting, promise," he said. "I'll see you soon."

Nearby branches swayed in time to the wind. Maurice adjusted his collar and slowly grew more distant.

"Don't get lost!" Eleanor shouted.

Maurice didn't hear.
~

"I don't know where she is either," Simone answered. Near Arcadia plaza we walked together, hoping the rest of our patrol was already there.

Maurice told me he had business to attend to. I couldn't really complain since I was going to be busy anyway, but Maurice finally accepting the job just makes me so happy. You'd think we'd see each other more as brothers, but he's always somewhere else. Lost in his own head, I think.

Simone asks for the time and I check my watch. It's late. And again the thoughts circulate through my mind. I wonder if Simone knows.

I wonder if y/n knows. Or at least, has thought about it.

"I'm gonna run back and see if they're at the dorm," I lied, not waiting for a reply. "You might have to patrol without me!"

"Wait!" Simone cried. Then she said something else, but I didn't hear.

~
The boy with the darker hair of the two was now alone. Clothes too big for his lanky figure hung off him like a poorly refurbished lamp, but a handsome one nonetheless.

He had with him too many books considering school didn't even start yet. After all, Maurice had only been on the train for less than an hour. But already he'd gathered all the information on Arcadia Academy that he could find.

A school with domestic day students and international night students living separated by a bridge over an ominous chasm of water. What a place. And run by a one Cadere Enebris with a one Miss Petrikov. Sadly, that's where the trail stopped.

"Is this seat taken?" A soft voice asked.

Maurice wanted to tell her it was so he'd have the compartment to himself, but instead gave a polite 'no' and and the girl sat with him. She was soon followed by two more boys, both of which looked older. Maurice lowered his book.

"You'd think after three years you'd make the train on time," one snickered to the other.

"Luke was supposed to save us a seat but he totally gave it up for some junior and her friends," said the other boy.

"That is such a Luke thing to do," said the girl suddenly far louder than five seconds ago. "That's probably the only reason he's on patrol."

"Can you honestly blame him?" One of the boys said much to the amusement of the other.

"What about you, are you in any clubs?" He asked, catching Maurice by surprise.

"Uh, no, I'm just, this is my first year," he said.