Chapter 37: Make A Wish

The rest of the day was spent under a cloud of anxiety. Theodore's loud commentary was absent at lunch, Maurice and Eleanor kept each other busy, and Simone seemed almost as apprehensive as you were. But after this morning, you were almost relieved Theodore wasn't there. How could you explain 'borrowing' the almanac? Hell... how could Theodore explain taking it from Roman's room?

"So, I hear the three musketeers have patrol tonight," Maurice said, a glint in his eyes.

"Four, counting Theo," Simone added.

"Ah but every group needs a d'Artagnan," Maurice grinned.

That was another thing. Sitting across from Maurice was only making you more anxious, because unless he had an identical twin, he wasn't Maurice, he was the boy from Jack O' Lantern's. The one who seemed to know more than any book about the supernatural secrets you were now keeping from your friends.

"Mind if I talk to you for a sec?" Simone said as you finished lunch and began making your way outside.

"Sure."

Together you waved goodbye to the others, watching Eleanor laugh at something Maurice said.

"So, you're going to patrol tonight, right?" She asked, not making eye contact.

"Yeah, might as well."

"Okay, me too."

The wind began to pick up as you slowly approached your dorm.

"I read the Creatures Almanac." She said in one breath.

"You- what?"

"I know, I'm horrible, I'm sorry, I was cleaning up and I just wanted to see what it was-"

"What did you think it was?"

"I don't know! I was curious, it looked out of place- I put it right back. I just know you know I touched it because I saw you hid it somewhere else and I had to say something."

"Well, I don't touch your stuff," you said.

"I know, and I know what I did was wrong," Simone sighed. "But now I know it's not worth keeping secrets from each other. I know you're always honest with me."

The sudden wave of nausea in your gut was enough to distract you from Simone invading your privacy. After all, if it really was Theodore's book, you were invading his.

"Okay, it's fine just don't touch my things without asking," you said wearily.

"I shouldn't have to begin with." She said.

You both made your way upstairs to what had been your home for the past month and change. You thought that since Simone had supposedly read it, that meant she had it. And that to you was better than losing it. But if she really put it back, where did it go? Nothing was adding up.

"Why were you keeping it under your mattress anyway?" Simone asked, whether out of curiosity or to fill the silence you couldn't tell. After giving her a look, she quickly apologized.

"Did you really read it?" You asked, dejected.

She nodded.

"Is it true?"

"What do you mean?" You asked as casually as possible.

Simone chuckled to herself, turning her back to you as she gazed out the window. Across the water was the night dorm. You knew exactly what she meant.

"Well, fairies, witches, mermaids, vampires, all that," she said quietly.

"It's nothing but fairy tales and fun reading," you lied. "There are tons of books just like it that are great for things like writing inspiration, you know."