Book Love - 2.

Chapter 2

"You know, leaving your old man is tough but at least you're not having to worry about exams next year!" Lewis offered a cheerful grin, his until eyes on his daughter in front of him whose eyes narrowed, and her hands pulled from the pockets of her denim jacket in order to hug him tightly. She always hated the platform on the first day of September, leaving her father for another year until Christmas was hard in itself and knowing he'd be spending his days all alone was a thought she couldn't bring herself to think about much.

"I just need to listen to teachers rambling on and on about how important next year is," Rory tutted, shaking her head, "I'll see you in one hundred and eleven days, dad."

"You counted it?" asked Lewis with a very quiet laugh to mask the overwhelming feeling of sadness that had managed to wave over him, "I'll be counting down those one hundred and eleven days, Rory, and this Christmas...the best you'll ever have."

She giggled, tightening her grip around him, "you say that every year."

She was never embarrassed to show how hurt it was for her to leave her father behind, she never cared for the stares or the fact that under their breath she was teased, and quietly would people point or laugh, students older and younger that she didn't know. But before, she took for granted that her parents would be at the Platform with her, and during her earlier years it was hard for her to say a goodbye longer than five minutes, a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek and she was off before they could fully say goodbye.

Now, she never could possibly take for granted what she had because if she didn't have her father then she would have no one, she'd climb onto the train with a goodbye to an empty station and then she'd be off so the extra moments with her father were well savoured and both of them hated to say goodbye in the first place.

She had always hinted at the thought of him getting a job as a professor, they were always looking for Defence Against the Dark Arts professors, and she knew that he was very known on the subject of Muggle Studies considering he married one but anytime she would mention a teacher position he was quick to turn it down.

He liked what he did, even if he was slacking - it seemed that letters weren't only his slacking with writing, considering three books later he had no motivation. He had even tried muggle fiction, but nothing peaked his interest enough for him to truly get inspired enough to write.

His lack of motivation didn't affect his income, though, seeing as their house was fit for the both of them and much more and the three books he had written allowed the royalties to pour in. He was very well known, a powerful face with a dazzling smile and occasionally on the platform did he have wizards of all ages wishing to talk to him.

Part of Rory thought that it would help her make friends way back in her first year, but it did nothing of the sort. It was - sort of - how her and James became so close, his father was the founder of the well-known Sleekeazy hair potion which was used to tame the unruliest of locks, and with his father's fame, James - whilst slightly arrogant - thought that maybe it could help him in the friend's department.

Both teenagers were wrong.

In fact, at first, it was quite the opposite. James did end up becoming popular for his own personality - and looks, in Rory's opinion - and Rory didn't, but it seemed as though many of the kids were a little intimidated by their father's status'. It was terribly hard for Rory to make friends, she met James on the train and their first conversation was their parents, he was more so fascinated by her mother's job as a newspaper editor in the muggle world than her father's books, and she was a lot more excited to hear stories about his mother's life that seemed so interesting.