Book Love - 9.

Chapter 9

"You know, I think you're really brave," Rory said as she walked beside Sirius, trying not to think too much of the fact that his shoulder was brushing against her own. She was sure they must've stayed hugging for five minutes and to say she was reluctant to let go was an understatement, she didn't know what it was - what Sirius did to her, but she liked being that close to him, she liked to hug him like that and be pressed against him the way she was and she didn't know why and it definitely worried her, "classic Gryffindor."

"You do?" Sirius asked, his eyebrows raised as though he was surprised, and Rory nodded furiously.

"Well yeah, obviously!" she exclaimed, "Sirius bloody hell, your family is a bit well known I'm not going to lie and I really could never agree with their ideals but then, you don't either and didn't you just move out this summer? Of course, I know you went to James' but you still went back there, you weren't at James all the time and you still coped in the same house with them for that length of time.

You must have been terrified and, yet you still went back every single year and that takes fucking balls, Sirius!"

"Oh yeah...real hit with the ladies," Sirius joked, "in fact, the lady hit me."

Rory reached for his hand, squeezing it tightly in her own and Sirius knew that she was upset - the frown on her lips said it all and he wondered why. He knew there were some issues with her family that happened a few years previous, but James never ever elaborated on what.

"What's your mum like?" he asked, and she tensed, and he felt it in her hand and their shoulders that brushed together, and he knew in that moment he wished that he was six feet under.

"She's...dead," Rory whispered quietly. Her eyes lifted to him and she knew how guilty he was to bring it up, but it wasn't his fault and Rory knew that too, so she smiled at him, "don't look so guilty, Sirius, you didn't know."

"I'm sorry, Rory," Sirius said, frowning, "I should've known, I should-"

"Sirius how could you have possibly known?" she laughed, "the only two that knew was Lila and James when it happened, and I made them promise not to tell anyone."

She felt his hand tense in hers and she frowned, "you told then when it happened?"

"Yeah, I did."

"So, it was recent?" Sirius whispered, and she realised then why his hand had tensed and why he did and why he looked so unhappy but then, she really didn't know why he looked so unhappy because of course they were growing closer and she really didn't have much to compare him too but he was becoming one of her closest friends, but he looked so distraught. He looked so unhappy that she had to go through that and the reason it shocked her was that he cared so much.

"I really am alright, Sirius," Rory said, "she'd never wish for me to be sad and of course I always will be that she's not here anymore but there's nothing I can do about it. I was thirteen, so it was just three years ago and of course, it was hard...it was the hardest thing I had to go through, but I had my dad still, and I had James and Lila when I came back here."

"Thirteen," he repeated, "and here I am going on about how much I hate my mum."

She halted, and he had to stop too since neither of them cared to pull away from each other's hands, "Sirius you need to stop doing that," she was concerned too because she didn't realise how much she cared about him until the pain in his eyes matched the same in her own.

It was weird, and she hadn't really thought of it before because Sirius really wasn't ever classed as her friend in earlier years, but they hadn't been back for long. They were nearing four weeks and October was just days away, but she hadn't really noticed just how close she was getting to the boys and mostly Sirius.