Counting Thestrals (Teddy)

Quite late and I don't know if you'll like it, but here it is, captain_ouat_swan_ hope you like it!

***

"One thestral, two thestrals, three thestrals-"

"God please," your companion exclaimed and you turned your head to the side, a small smile forming on your lips as he ran a hand over his face and to his hair that was, weirdly enough, a light blue. "Stop counting thestrals, please."

"But I can't sleep."

"And I can't either," he whined as he sent you a look, "try counting in your head."

"But this is much more fun," you grinned as you leaned slightly forward, "does counting thestrals make you uneasy?"

"I don't even know what these are."

"They are skeletal horses, invisible to the human eye unless we've seen someone die before in our life."

The boy's eyes instantly widened. "Charming."

"I know," you nodded. The boy turned away from you. You watched him for some time, fascinated with his blue hair. You had never seen someone with blue hair in your life before. You spoke again, but he didn't listen.

"What?"

"That's my name," you said as you repeated your name once again, "what's yours?"

"Edward," he grimaced as he shook his head, "don't call me that, though. Most people call me Ted and family calls me Teddy."

"I like how 'Teddy' sounds," you admitted, "it seems more sweet to me."

"I suppose so," he shrugged, "but you are not family."

"It doesn't matter, Teddy," you smiled, "now I'll call you that way too. And I might call you Edward if I get mad."

He raised an eyebrow. "Alright."

"So, do you have siblings, Teddy?"

"No."

"Pets?"

"No."

"Friends?"

"I have my godfather's children and their cousins, if that counts."

Your eyebrows shot up in surprise. "That's all?"

"Yeah," he nodded as he sent you a weird look, "I don't have many friends. I'm going to make some at Hogwarts, though."

"That's convenient, I don't have any friends either. Most kids our age don't like me much."

His eyebrows furrowed. "I see."

"They say I am weird and a nerd or something, but they can't understand that this world has so much to offer," you said dreamily as you looked at the window, "this world has so much more to offer to a person than what they realise. All we have to do is let go of our physical limitations and let our minds soar."

"Right," Teddy cleared his throat, "I guess we can be friends, if you want."

You snapped your head in his direction. "Really?"

"Yeah, I don't mind," he mumbled, paying no heed to the wide smile on your lips. "So, you are a first-year, aren't you?"

"Yes."

"So am I."

"Brilliant," you exclaimed as you leaned slightly forward, "in which house do you want to be in?"