Chapter Six

Wrong.

I woke up at Randy's house the next morning to a million social media notifications. There were hundreds of thousands of tweets and tumbles and Google Plus posts about the random girl at the Veiled Brides Vlack concert last night and what her relationship might be to the band members. Lots of new stations were speculating that she must be... Randy's new girlfriend!!!

I was in such a shock that I couldn't swallow my breakfast of a single piece of dry whole wheat toast. I spit it back out into a napkin and sat at the breakfast table quietly.

"What's the matter?" asked Randy, who was sitting across from me eating a bowl of shredded wheat oatmeal made with water instead of milk.

"Haven't you seen all the stuff on social media?" I sulked.

"Yeah, what about it?" he grinned. "You look super cute in all those pictures they took."

"I mean I guess, but-" I was interrupted by my phone ringing, so I held up a finger to pause the conversation as I answered it.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Sally, you're famous now. Give me money," Mom demanded.

"No," I responded.

"Okay fine," she grumbled, hanging up.

I started to cry buckets and Randy held me, asking, "What happened, babe?"

"I just had a really emotionally draining phone call with my mom," I sobbed wetly.

"That bitch..." he growled, his nostrils flaring dominantly. It was hot but I was too sad to comment.

"I'm also still really upset about all the social media stuff," I blurted out, dabbing at my eyes very gently with the folded corner of a napkin. "So many people wanna know if we're dating and I'm overwhelmed by this sudden influx of attention."

"Aw, it's okay! You get used to it after a while and soon enough, nothing means anything and fame is a blur of alcohol and sex and drugs that all fails to excite you in any way!" he comforted cheerfully, stroking my hair like one might a fancy fur rug.

I pouted. "Maybe for you, but I'm still new to this and I don't wanna confirm or deny a relationship right now. It would be too much."

Randy tensed up and pulled away from me, a large frown etched into his face. "Wow. Okay. I really thought we had something here, but I guess NOT."

"We do, but-" I tried to reason, reaching my hands out to try and catch his.

"WHATEVER," he exclaimed, standing up and walking around a corner to sulk. I heard him kick something over and then swear really loudly, then shout that he didn't just step in broken glass and not to come look because he's FINE, so I believed him, I guess.

Then I sat there alone and sadly, thinking about how it all went wrong so quickly. It was obviously my fault because I was being unreasonable for not wanting to talk about our relationship, but it was also SO obviously Randy's fault for being an insufferable manbaby about something that literally has no business being in the public eye.

I was conflicted.

Luckily, the front door opened and in spilled the remaining four band members of Veiled Brides Vlack!

"Oh hey, you're that girl from the concert last night," remembered Bashley, the flirty one.

"Yeah, that's right!" affirmed DD, the funny one.

"How's it going?" asked Rake, the friendly one.

"And where's Randy? We have band practice," stated Jeremy Miles, the serious one.

I wailed to them, "I'm doing no good because Randy's being a dick!"

They all nodded in understanding, having ample experience with Randy being such an impulsive loner douchebag. They took turns giving me advice and walking me through ways to solve the problem, all of which were awe-inspiring and incredibly well spoken.

"Wow, you all have taught me so much! I'm gonna go confront him about our issues and communicate like a proper romantic pairing should!" I declared.

They cheered me on as I stood up and walked around the corner to where Randy was standing, leaning against the wall with his arms and legs crossed.

"What do you want?" he grumbled, turning his head away from me.

"I wanna talk about us, because I think we're totally meant to be!" I told him seriously, putting my hands on my hips and shaking them for effect.

"Well, I don't think we are!" he returned, making me gasp in hurt and hold my chest.

"But I know everything about you!" I argued. "Like the time you did that thing in that place with that one guy!"

"Dammit," he cursed, "you really do know everything."

"See, I told you!" I exclaimed.

"But I can't be with someone who won't commit to me!" he bust out in return, throwing his arm over his brow dramatically.

"But Randy!"

"But Sally!"

Then we had a really intense make out session before he stormed up to him room and slammed the door shut, leaving me there to overindulge in self-pity while four handsome men attended to my every need.