The Fool

I woke up early the next morning and dressed quickly. Yesterday, Bonnie could hardly keep a smile off her face the rest of the afternoon. Even after Dusty had dropped me off at home, Bonnie called me later, after convincing me that it was absolutely necessary for she to have my home line number, and had me share every detail about my talk with Jack. However, like I told Bonnie, it was all up to my mom on whether I could go to Jack's party.

I quickly made my way down the stairs and around the corner to find my mom fixing her dress stockings. I had no idea what she would say about the party.

"Good news!" My mom sang as she fixed her blouse cuffs. "The beds should be here today, so no more sleeping on the floor."

"That's cool mom, but uhh..." I rung my hands together. "Could I ask you a question?"

"Oh, wait!" She exclaimed before spinning around to look at me. "I didn't get to hear about your first day! How was it? I heard you made a some new friends. Tell me all about it."

For a good twenty minutes I told my mom all about the walk to school, meeting Bonnie at the crosswalk, then Dusty in the parking lot. I couldn't help but smile back as my mom grinned widely, adamantly listening to my day. However, her smile quickly fell as I mentioned my "run in" with Rider. She really didn't like the part when I told her about how he was the biker we met that first night or that we was now my class partner.

"I haven't the slightest idea what kind of irresponsible parent would allow such malignant behavior. When I was your age, my parents never..."

"Allowed such conduct especially from someone my age." I said with a wry smile.

"A sermon I've preached before?" My mother questioned with a laugh. "I don't know about this, El. I don't want you around his crowd. Maybe I should have a word with your teacher."

"Don't worry, mom. He might have the rest of the girls at school hooked, but I'm not in to that whole "run-around" attitude. Besides, three more months, remember?"

"Until my little girl graduates? Don't remind me." She shook her head, as she adjust her cat-eye glasses.

My mother gave a heavy sigh as she looked over me. She glanced down to her wristwatch and nearly jumped out of her heels.

"Oh, look at the time! I've got to head out." She exclaimed.

"Wait, mom, I had a question to ask you."

"Oh yes that's right!" She shook her head before dabbing her eyes with her handkerchief. "Ask away, but you better hurry. I've gotta be out of here in five minutes."

"Okay, so...I uh- met this guy Jack at the diner yesterday afternoon, and..." I started, noticing that my mom had stopped folding her handkerchief to slowly look up at me. "And he invited me to a pool party by his house next Saturday."

"Eleanor..."

"I know you like to meet their parents first, but I only found out about this yesterday." I explained. "My new friend Bonnie and a couple other kids I've met are going to be there. It's not a school night, and I won't be out late."

She stood there for a minute, eyes wandering around the floor before she sighed and looked back up to me.

"Are his parents going to be there?" She asked.

Oh, jeez. "Uhm, I think so..."

"Eleanor."

"By the way he mentioned it, it's like a little bash for the seniors." I finished. "He seems like a real swell guy, mom, aaand it would be a great way for me to fit in with the other kids."