Back Off

Annabeth was on cloud nine. She had all her friends back, she had her Seaweed Brain back. It was amazing. Finally after five years she felt accepted.

So when she got to English and Percy was there and Paul Blofis she couldn't help but grin. Annabeth had walked with Percy and now they sat down in the front of class. Paul hadn't noticed her so Annabeth snuck up on him. He was writing something down. His salt and pepper hair was cut short and he wore his usual of a dress shirt and pants.

"Hey Paul!" Annabeth said loudly. Paul jumped and looked at her with surprise. Then surprise melted to shock then happiness and he stood up from his chair.

"Annabeth Chase?" He asked still not believing it. Annabeth nodded and Paul wrapped her into a hug. Paul is Percy's step-dad. His second step dad but that is a story for a different time. "Oh my god look at you! You've grown so much!" Paul's smile made his eyes crinkle.

"Paul I'm so happy to be back!" I hugged him again. Percy made his way up to then and stood beside Annabeth.

"I think you should come over today. Sally would be so happy to see you again." Paul crossed his arms and kept smiling at Annabeth.

"I would love to! I've missed Sally so much!" Sally was Percy's mom. She had brown hair and kind blue eyes. Annabeth remembered she always smelled like cookies.

Annabeth and Percy sat back down and went through class. They both had gym after English. They spent the time challenging each other. They tied for everything. After gym they had to split for the last two classes.

But Annabeth had the class with Thalia. The two girls sat down together and where chatting when a familiar clicking of heels stopped in front of them. Annabeth looked up to see Drew.

Her low cut pink shirt practically fell off as she leaned forward. She got in Annabeth's face with a sneer. "What are you trying to do? Owl Brain?" Drew used the nickname that she had made for Annabeth in the fourth grade. Because she caught Annabeth reading a book on owls.

It was a weak attempt at making Annabeth feel intimidated. "What do you mean?" Annabeth said back as she leaned forward and crossed her arms.

"I mean what the hell do you think you're doing with my boyfriend." Drew snarled. Thalia was watching the two like an intense tennis match.

"I'm not doing anything. Percy is my best friend that I haven't seen in five years. I don't know what you're trying to imply but I can assure you that you're wrong." Annabeth said calmly. She reveled in how red Drew's face was turning. "Now go sit down, your making some of the less intelligent people in this room drool." Annabeth smirked as Drew huffed a breath and left.

Thalia laughed. Annabeth just shook her head. "Why the hell is Percy with her of all people?" Annabeth asked her.

Thalia stopped laughing. "They've been dating for a year. I don't know all of it but Drew asked Percy out and he had said yes to be nice at first. Then somehow he got wrapped into a relationship and just doesn't seem to realize just how horrible she is." Thalia ranted. "She makes him take turns sitting with us because she wants him as arm candy. She doesn't like him, she just likes the fact that he's good looking."

Thalia gritted her teeth. Annabeth found herself doing the same. Percy deserved so much better than that pink wearing bimbo. "I can't believe it. I leave for a while and Percy gets himself into some shit. I can never leave him anywhere by himself." Annabeth teased to lighten the mood.

Thalia grinned and played along. "Oh of course. You leaving made what little brain he had leave as well. You know I always knew his head was full of Kelp." The girls tried to forget about Drew for now and just wasted for the class and day to be over.

Annabeth met up with Percy when class was over. She was going home with him to surprise Sally. Percy had driven over on his motorcycle because Paul had to be here before and after him. They where by his bike and Annabeth was about to slip on his helmet when Drew made her presence known.

"Babe. What are you doing?" Drew said threw her teeth. Her red mouth was contorted into a grotesque smile. It was forced and made her look like a bad tempered cat.

"Annabeth is coming over so we can surprise my mom. Why do you ask?" Percy seemed oblivious to the crowd being drawn. The most popular couple just happened to be having a bit of a fight. Who could resist watching?

Drew got closer to Percy and put a hand on his chest. Her smile was like poisoned honey. "You're making a show of letting a different girl on your bike. I can't allow this." She whispered. Annabeth stood beside Percy and heard every word.

"I'm not making a show of anything. And I never make a show of anything. Can you get off my case for a second?" Percy said back in a louder voice. He seem genuinely upset, and Annabeth would not have that.

Annabeth pulled Drew off of Percy and made the pink witch face her. "Percy is my best friend. You are not about to change that. In fact no one will. And as his best friend I cannot have you making him upset. So kindly keep your wits about where we are and just kiss his cheek and leave." She whispered to her with a sweet smile on her face. Not one hint of the rage that she felt boiling inside her showing.

Drew smiled back like a snake figuring out what kind of animal it was facing. "Fine. But back off Owl Brain." She hissed before kissing Percy, not on the cheek as suggested but on the lips, and turning to walk away.

Annabeth smiled to Percy who smiled back. He shrugged then Annabeth put his helmet on her head. Percy got on his bike and Annabeth sat behind him. Annabeth wrapped her arms around Percy's waist and Percy drove off.