Ch. 27

Tink spent the day in and out of a dream filled stupor. She could feel bits and pieces of the day floating by but none of it made sense or mattered to her. She stopped wanting to be free and her only need became getting back to her floaty place whenever her mind tried to bring her back to the bright painful room.

At some point she could swear John came and spoke to her. His words were fuzzy and sounded as if he said them from someplace under the sea but she nodded anyway. At this point, it didn't matter what he wanted, she knew she wanted to agree with it. Whatever made things easier. That's all she ever wanted, things to become easy.

When it felt like the ties were being taken off and her arms and legs were rubbed and stretched she didn't react. The floaty place had a habit of making her feel and think good things. Soon she felt weightless and smelled soap and aftershave and it reminded her of when she was small and her father picking her up to swing her around after a long day at work.

She remembered the happy moment and draped her arm around him clinging to every fiber before it washed away again. The bright lights of the room became dim and if she listened carefully she'd swear she could hear the squeaky click of shoes on a tile floor matching the swaying of her weightless moving body.

Her thoughts tried to call her back into the now. An almost itchy feeling crawling across her brain and skin willing her to open her eyes and focus--but she wouldn't. She didn't want to be back on the table all crunched up and hoping for days to pass. Most of all, she didn't want to be alone anymore with memories of Stash and pain and all the bad things she made happen in her life.

She didn't make a sound as she wondered where this strange dream was headed. The past, the future, as long as it stayed smelling nice and free of pain she didn't care.

When a gust of cold air hit her skin it felt like tiny knives and Tink tensed up. Slowly the itching feeling started to burn and she opened her eyes a slit unwilling to plunge into whatever was happening in the real world.

She saw a parking lot lit with streetlights and felt the wind blow against her uncovered legs and arms and tried to sit up. She was being carried. John held her tightly as he quickly headed toward the lot of cars. Panic signals fired as Tink struggled to understand what was happening.

"John?"

Her throat burned and the words came out a scratchy whisper in the wind. She wished for water and lifted her head to try and ask him for a drink. Wherever they were going couldn't the as important as finding a drop of water.

"It's okay now Hope. I've got you. I can't believe they left you in that room so long. People will be fired Hope. I rescued you. I'm going to take you away from here. They don't care about you. They can't help you here it's time to go home. I'm so sorry I wasn't there sooner. They didn't tell me where you were and it took me so long to find you."

He grunted and lifted her slipping body higher as he moved his feet even faster across the lot.

Tink wanted to thank him. He rescued her. He was going to take her home. She wasn't worried anymore about what her mom and dad would think of her. They'd have water. After she drank an ocean full she could tell them she was going to be okay. John would help her. She just needed to stop thinking everyone was Stash.

She tried to squeeze him in thanks but she didn't have the energy so she nuzzled her head back down on his shoulders. They were warm and strong and taking her home.

It felt good when John lay her in the back seat and buckled a seatbelt around her before covering her up with a blanket he already had waiting.

"I...need some water. Just a little water please."

She hoped now that they were out of the wind and cold he could hear her.

"Don't you worry Hope. I'll get you gallons. I'm going to take care of everything for you. Just relax and soon I'll get you what you need."

Her eyes closed and she tried to tell herself to stop thinking about thirst. It was going to be okay. John would get her some water. The burning of her throat intensified and she tried to conjure up some spit but even that was hidden and dry.

"It's the drugs Hope. They make you dry. And between those and the time you spent in that hot room without even a drink, I'm sure it feels like a desert. Someone will pay for that, don't you worry."

Tink wasn't worried. She was only thirsty. She sat herself up in the seat to let him know she wasn't mad, when she felt a burning prick slam into her thigh. Her hands flew toward the pain and John held them down.

"I'm sorry Hope. God knows what kind of bacteria they exposed you to on that table. This is going to help." He spoke softly as he pulled the needle slowly out of her leg and rubbed the stinging spot.

Before she could answer a hot heaviness exploded in her body and her head fell forward. John's hand yanked at her ankles and pulled her body lower in the seat so her head rested against the back passenger door.

Her thoughts were working so hard to give her a message but as much as she wanted to understand it, the heavy warm feeling pulled at her making everything out of focus. There was only one thought coming and it didn't make the slightest bit of sense. Run.

Tink closed her weighted eyelids and felt the swaying of the car as she plunged into the darkness even her floaty place wouldn't be able to find her.

####################
John is on the move and now he's got Tink. I don't know about you but my palms are just a little sweaty and I'm down about ten fingernails.

There will be another update this weekend for any of you wondering. I truly can't wait to get to the end of this very twisty road with you.