Chapter 10

A/N: This was such fun to write. Hope you'll enjoy it as well ... ;-)

Evangeline POV

Ridge House presents itself at its best to receive its royal family back at their residence. Magnetrons in immaculate uniforms, both Samos cousins and commoners, line the way with utmost respect and drill. Their shiny guns are held in firm grips, each one is custom-made by its owner's magnetron ability. As are the numerous blades, some of the larger ones lifted up in the air when our arrival is announced.

I step out of the shadows beneath the plane, laying my hand as slowly as possible on Tiberias' arm; he stands rigid and controlled. It shall not matter. Silver royals don't need to smile friendly at their court. The prince and I are set to go first so the kingdom of the Rift may admire their princess and the rightful king the family's brought back from his drear exile. As if he was a prize I won when it's a sentence for both of us. In his uniform, he looks just like a year ago, when no one doubted the crown prince's ascension. On his side, my metal dress gleams even though I haven't put thought into it,  and only let the metal form into a wearable shape. Yet Mother asked me to fix a few black cloths onto it which now move slightly in the breeze and brush the bare parts of my skin. I haven't made efforts with my hair either, now it falls down oddly straight. 

Our soldiers actually cheer at our small parade and they become louder when Mother and Father follow behind me. Back on the plane, Mother complained how much she'd prefer to have a cat of prey accompany her but it was impossible to bring one to Corvium to begin with. Now she can't wait to make up for it and check on her menagerie here as soon as possible while Anne, her falcon, flies behind her. The bird is right before Queen Dowager Anabel who walks alone, in front of the Silver soldiers picked to fight in the battle a month ago. Tolly would've walked with her, if he didn't stay in Corvium. I miss him already while he has Wren staying with him.

I look forward to glimpe at the people expecting us right before the door. It has to be Elane. Meanwhile, Tiberias falls out of step as we walk beneath the raised swords. I'd laugh but I have to maintain the regal composure of the princess, thus I limit my amusement to a sneer. All of this magnetron show, confronting him with the new rival kingdom, must unsettle the prince: But for a Samos, the more metal is the better, however threatening we seem. Blades are as natural to us as eating.

I wish I could walk quicker but I know what's expected of me, who's done these performances my whole life. The rhythm is ingrained into my pulse. Even when my excitement grows the closer I move to Elane. Her smile, still small in the distance, is warmer than the sunlight. The light tickles my skin because Elane plays with it, until a beam crosses my face directly. This jester. I can't avoid blinking and she winks at me.

She's so beautiful that my lips twist into a smile and I forget the prince next to me. Elane wears loose black linen with a few golden decorations, the dark fabric a contrast to her otherwise glowing apperance. Her skin is tanned golden and her hair is pinned up - making me long to let it fall down again - while her crown of gold, silver and diamondglass sets it alight and creates little rainbows around her.

"The princesses of the Rift!" the steward next to her, Cristoph Samos, calls out and the feeling of being home overwhelms me.

The compulsory protocols wash over me easily when Elane is with me. I almost forgot this feeling in my former desperation but once we're together, my fears shrink. We are the princesses of a new kingdom and we are going to rule. Whatever Tiberias or my father commands, we can't be separated.

Elane and I escape to my room before the next round of welcoming festivities begins. Basking in the sunlight, she lays on my bed, her hair spread out on the white sheets is all fire, copper, wine and garnets.