Chapter 18

Mare POV

It's already December when it's deemed peaceful enough to allow travel again. The local Silver lords have drawn back to their residences and strongholds and cooperate reluctantly, under the assumption they can keep what they have. For now. I tell myself as much. All current negotiations will only remain for now. While King Tiberias VII's whereabouts are only rumours and Anabel Lerolan's reported as missing, Premier Davidson has taken the lead over the region around Archeon. Lady Larissa Welle, the greenwarden providing our food, is his new supreme Silver ally. The Samos are occupied with themselves and their own disputes, we are told, and I suspect keeping them away from the capital was part of Farley's very important secret mission.

When it comes to Cal, I believe no news is better than bad news, be they concerning his death or his ascension. There can't be a monarchy without a king and no one dares to claim the throne for themselves as long as Tiberias's fate is uncertain. The ignorance is bliss, and works in our favour.

The same would be true for Maven. People whisper about him and Iris Cygnet like about his brother but they know nothing. His birthday passes and I hope he celebrates it in his unmarked grave.

I wish I was so sure during my nightmares when he appears to haunt me, to take me away, lock me up, and present Cal's dead body to me.

Davidson, his operatives and the Guard members are very good at calming the rest of the half-homeless population of Archeon and find occupations for them, so the rumours don't gain even more power. As if, when they keep up their pretend long enough, people will simply accept a new system.

As if breaking down a few walls and buildings was enough to destroy centuries of oppression. I'd like to believe it, too. Like Kilorn, Saraline, Grace and sometimes even Tyton. But it's been almost a month and I'm fed up with clearing, rebuilding and sweet-talking to civilians.

The operatives I met directly after the battle, Sorata Ives and Hope Lerolan, are the most determined to procure for the civilians. "They make a good team," Saraline remarks. "It would be so funny to see them walk around hand in hand". I frown at her and she adds, "she hates the ability in her hands, and his hands could take it away." Then she toys awkwardly with one of her tight black curls, like she said too much. "He's a Newblood who can steal abilities."

It's an ability that makes me both curious and wanting to stay away from him.

I've had a few distance calls with my family from their new safe house and finally, Farley told me, she'll come here by train to start visiting the outer regions of Norta. I can't wait to leave the capital I hate. I won't be here to see Tiberias VII return in full glory and regalia – it'd shatter my heart or I'd skewer his.

Kilorn doesn't intend to let me go without him but we're almost the only ones. Saraline and Grace will stay, stressing the importance of controlling the capital I came to despise more than a year ago. Maybe they'll see happier times here, if their flirting evolves into a date among the ruins, or even a relationship.

For now, Saraline wishes me luck and hopes to see "Diana's baby" during Farley's short stay.

I'm surprised this is actually possible, that Farley does have Clara with her. As well as my brothers, Ada, Sara, Julian, and a host of about a hundred soldiers and other Guard members. I hug both Bree and Tramy for a whole minute and still I'm disappointed not to see Gisa and our parents. Of course, they stayed behind, but I believe their presence would've taken the edge off me that I feel rising up again like the constant storm inside me.