Chapter 12

Gisa POV

Cameron looks cute with her hair open, positively pretty, and I tell her so. She laughs, slightly embarrassed but also ... something else. She lowers her eyes to face me, excitingly slow. She smirks after a breathless second and I do the same, hoping to convey the message, "I like you," without voicing it.

Maybe I should. Clear words can be such a relief. But I just lay my hand over hers and the way she avoids glancing at them although she's obviously touched in more than one way says a lot. Rejoice prickles inside of me.

"Though it gets annoying after a few days," Cameron says, tugging at a curl. "Especially when, you know ... " She sighs deeply.

My mood drops from soaring to crawling. Her smile vanishes and familiar feelings wash over us; finality for her, dread for me. She'll go back to fighting, like too many of my family.

"Hey. Gisa," she nudges me and I startle. Her expression softens again. "I'm not – well. They asked us who'd go to New Town and I volunteered. I can see my parents again, and do something for the other techies."

I step away, my eyes turned to the ground. I shouldn't sulk like this, and when Cameron touches my shoulder, I feel even more embarrassed and selfish.

"I'm sorry to leave you alone again, so soon after," Cameron says. I nod. Of course, she does as she must.

"Good luck," I wish her; she hesitates to reply. I don't wait and simply hug her. She's surprised but embraces me back after a second. "You'll come back," I demand.

"For sure," she whispers into my hair. "You got to met my family after all."

Heat rises in my cheeks, warring with suppressed tears. "Oh," I say, "oh."

Cameron clears her throat, it has been a slip. I look up into her face. "I didn't know we've come that far already," I say. "But I'm glad?"

Her smile emerges slowly but it's certainly beaming. "Me too. And you know, Rafe comes with me, because an electricon in New Town? Assured to create a mess."

I pull away a bit, rise to my toes, and kiss her cheek. "Or sure to bring you a quick victory."

"Right," she agrees, then hugs me again.

As if the general mood on the base hasn't been serious enough, the returnees from Corvium and the – hopefully decisive – battles looming ahead turn it positively grave. Everyone trains harder, most of all Mare. Not only her ability but her body as well, and she even eats more to build more muscles. Tramy, Bree and Diana advise her on this, as they occupy each other with more planning and discussions. Meanwhile I stick to Kilorn, Cameron, and her brother Morrey. Sometimes I accompany Lacey again, but with Diana's return, her restrictions seem to have lessened, allowing her to become more involved. Tramy doesn't bring her to our house anymore but doesn't meet her less often as far as I notice. He's as in love as before, if I interpret his glances and expressions right. And our eyes meet frequently when the family sits together.

Each of us copes in their own ways. In the evenings, Diana visits with Clara when she has the time. Dad enters Bree's and Mare's war talks while he avoids the certain royal topic carefully. Everyone does this around Mare, maybe apart from Mom and Diana in more private conversations. Thus Mom fusses on the whole family, similar to before, Dad supports her, Bree and Tramy tell stories, Mare tries to fit in and I keep my hands busy and watch; taking Kilorn's advice to crack jokes to lighten the mood, although not with as savage ones as his.