Chapter 19

Mare POV

The train tracks don't lead into New Town directly, so we drive into the city by transports provided by the techies. The train stops, and we step onto a platform already filled with people, armed citizens of New Town. Of course, they have weapons enough as they built them themselves here, and they have to make sure this visit isn't a trap. Who doesn't fear our newfound and brittle freedom will be short-lived? We carry our own weapons as well, although more hidden.

Farley and Ada go to meet the leaders of the welcoming host and we start moving. Once again, my gaze travels over our party going into New Town. Mostly Red Guards, a few Newbloods, no Silvers. I wonder whether Farley will make a secret of our Silver members, which might backfire if it came to light. I also try to find the familiar faces of Rafe and Cameron among the New Town people. I see her a few rows in the back and we wink when we pass each other. I can't find Rafe though. His green-dyed braids would be the brightest spot on this grey day. Even at noon, winter and smog cloud the sky.

The building declared to be the town hall is as simple and functional as the whole city. It's located in a quieter area but the factories' roars of noise and electricity are still omnipresent. The convoy stops and we exit, again with Farley and Ada taking the lead, flanked by techies. In front of the town hall, a woman about 40 awaits us with a small retinue. With her chin-long brown hair and brown skin, she resembles me and my family, but her demeanour is completely different. She greets Farley and Ada in an odd blend of friendliness and business-like resolve. Clearly a person in charge.

"I'm Lea Reeves, the mayor of New Town," she says. "The town council and I welcome your arrival and our future cooperation."

But we don't get to hear what that entails. Her council only meets with Farley and a few more leading Guard officers, the rest of us has to wait in the crowded atrium. It could be frustrating after the showy escort here, yet the techies – not fully relaxed but still – quickly start to interact with the Guard soldiers.

Kilorn and I have secured ourselves a seat on the stairs. "We could look for Cameron," I say.

"Hmm, indeed...," Kilorn trails off and freezes, gaping. But his face changes fast into grin. "Rafe!" he calls and jumps up before I can follow his gaze. He waves with his hand.

I struggle up, too, and see Rafe moving towards us. Sparks tickle my skin in anticipation.

Rafe stops one step in front of us and looks. For a moment, Kilorn just looks back, grinning, then he almost stumbles off the stairs to hug Rafe before Rafe notices me as well.

"Great to see you two doing fine!", he says.

"I think you've done even better," I reply, sharing his good mood. Like Kilorn, his presence is always uplifting.

"Yes," Rafe says, "we did well on our own. But now New Town needs to establish trade again. The Scarlet Guard and Monfort must be interested in buying from here, I assume."

Kilorn crosses his arms. "I'm sarting to wonder how they pay for everything."

Rafe cocks his head toward the conference room. "Reeves likely wants soldiers and trainers from Monfort and the Guard, people like me."

"So, will you stay here?" Kilorn ask.

Rafe pats his shoulder. "No." He looks to me. "Someone has to avenge Ella."

Later on, we visit Cameron's family. Unlike on our first entry, Farley brings Clara along with Kilorn and me, believing this to be a safe trip. I agree, but the city has indeed something eerie. To avoid drawing attention, Farley scheduled the visit during the shift change in the afternoon when the sun's already setting. So after a while, lots of workers begin to walk the streets along with us but to me, they look like phantoms in the mist before they're close enough to become clearly visible. The population of New Town varies in appearances and ethnicities but all of them seem like they don't see the sun very often, be it due to their work hours or to the thick smog bell above us. A few people are as pale like the pages of Julian's books. But their faces aren't nearly as depressing as the weather – they're exhausted but looking forward to their free time. Apart from them, I feel as if the killed and chased off Silver watchdogs and overseers still loom around the corners, although more like ghosts than an actual menace. It is so dim. The smoke's present almost all the time and the short daytime and fog of winter make the streets even gloomier. Not that it's really dark. There're lights everywhere: on the streets, the plazas, the high buildings. They can't pierce the gloom, but still, they're almost beautiful, as if the electric lights are trying to replace starlight.