Let destiny decide

Bria went back to the same place the next day. She stayed away from the city as much as she could, she didn't want to risk anyone's life.

She waited for the strange man. She also felt stupid, she didn't even know his name. What if he's not who he says he is. What if he'll try to kill her? And what proof did he have that he was a hybrid? She sighed and looked at her hands. She would admit, she missed Thel. He was the only one who can calm her, the only one she fully trusted.

She also managed to catch feelings for him...

She jumped as a hand pounded onto the table. She looked up and saw that man smirking at her.

"Miss me?" He asks.

"You showed." She replied.

"Of course. I always keep my promises." He said. "Follow me."

She followed him outside.

This is it. This is how I die. This stranger will murder me in an alley.

And sure enough, he took her in an alleyway. She could probably defend herself with her powers if she needed to.

He turned.

"So what's your deal?" She asked while crossing her arms.

"It's one you won't turn down. I know how to control your power. I'll teach you, on one condition. Let me do some experiments on you." He said.

She eyes him suspiciously.

"Not in a weird way." He corrects. "I'm just curious about your power. I may even discover how to get rid of it."

She chuckled "I don't even know your name." She said.

"Kyle." He quickly says. "And yours?"

"Classified." She replied grimly.

"It shouldn't be, or we have no deal. I can't work with a nameless person." He said and held out his hand for her to shake.

She sighed and hesitated "Bria." She whispers and shakes his hand.

"Nice to meet you, Bria. Now I have an extra bedroom at my place. It's nothing impressive, but it'll get the job done. I'm assuming you won't be here forever." He says.

She shrugs. "At least until I figure out how to fully control the power."

He claps his hands together. "Perfect. Let's go home and I'll begin the first experiment."

Once they were at his house, he led her to her new room. It was a simple small room with a bunk bed and a view of the city.

"It isn't much." He said.

"Your place is lovely." She smiled at him.

"Thank you. Are you hungry? I can cook something up real quick." He said.

"Sure, that sounds nice."

Sometime later, he prepared a bowl of chicken soup for the both of them. Bria started devouring it.

"Is it that good?" Kyle chuckled.

Bria giggled. "Sorry. I've been eating MREs for the past couple of weeks. This is amazing!"

"Glad you enjoy it." He took another bite. "So why'd you join the UNSC?"

"Well, I kind of didn't join them..." She paused. "M-My family got murdered and I went to avenge them, but instead I found the UNSC." She replied.

"So you have no family to return to. No lover or anything?" He questioned.

She felt herself blush. "Well not exactly..."

"Oh? Do tell."

"Heh... There is someone out there. The reason I'm even here. Just don't make fun of me." She cringed.

He raised his right hand. "Hybrids honor."

"He's a Sangheili..." He raised an eyebrow but didn't acknowledge it. "I let myself get attached to him. And now it even hurts to be away from him." She frowned.

"But you're just trying to protect him?" He asks.

She nods. "I would hate myself if something happened to him because of me."

"I understand." He says slowly.

Bria. You should keep your mouth shut.

She's said too much already. How does she know she could trust him fully?

He is, however, the only one who could help her.

"U-um... When are we going to do the first experiment?" She asked.

"Well if you're ready, we can start now." He replied.

Bria nodded her head.

He took her into a room that looked like a lab. He then stuck a needle into her. Surprised, she jumped.

"Sorry, did that hurt?" He asked.

"Y-yeah. A little." She lied. She opened up to him enough already. She needed to keep things a secret from now on.

He drew blood from her side and put it under a microscope.

"Fascinating." He whispered loudly while looking into the scope.

"What is it?" She asked.

"Your blood cells are not how they should be. I'm honestly surprised you're still alive." He added. "It's nothing like my blood."

"How am I still alive?" She questioned.

"I'm not sure. We'll figure this out." He replied. "That's a very lovely necklace, by the way. Where did you get it?"

"Oh um... a friend g-gave it to me." Bria said.

"A Sangheili I assume? I have personally only seen that crystal on Sangheilios." He said.

Darn. He's intelligent.

She remained quiet.

This is going to be harder than she thought.