Chapter 5

Chapter 5

School the next day was agonizing. I hadn’t done any homework. I sat in front of my locker sulking when I heard “Hey.” I looked up and Josh was there.

“Hey Josh” I said still down.

“So it was your birthday on Saturday.” Had it really just been Saturday? That seemed so long ago. A day of sulking really messes up you time frame. “I was going to give you your gift at your party, but Sydney said you weren’t having one.”

“Gift?”

He laughed. “Yeah gift. I think you’re the only teenager that doesn’t want a party.” Josh had gotten me a gift. I never even told him I had a birthday coming up. And he planned on going to my party. “So here you go. Happy 17th birthday” he said with a smile. I got up and took the box from him.

I was about to open it when Syd almost pushed me into Josh. “There you are” she exclaimed. “I called you like seven times on Sunday. Why didn’t you answer?” She looked up at Josh. “Hey Josh”

“Hey Sydney.” He looked back at me. “So go on and open it.” I smiled and did just that. Inside was a picture frame. Inside there was a picture of us from the beginning of the year. “I though you could put that up in your dorm when we go to college together.” College? That brought a tear to my eye.

“Thanks Josh.” I whipped the tear away and went to opening my locker.

“No problem. Later Tal.” Damn him. Why did he have to be so nice?

“Okay Tala you have a lot of explaining to do. Starting with who answered your phone on Saturday.”

“Oh Colton, ummm he’s just a family friend.”

“Come on Tala don’t lie to me. I know you better than that.”

I sighed. “Okay Colton and I are sort of dating.” Syd looked at me shocked. “It just kinda happened. He came up on Saturday and” I shrugged “he was really sweet.”

Syd smile widened and she grabbed my arm. “I want details.”

“Ummm, you know he’s a guy. He’s tall with black hair and clear silver eyes.”

“Ohhh sounds dreamy. How old is he?”

I was about to answer when the bell rang. “I’ll tell you more at lunch.”

School was agonizing. All my teachers yelled for not having even tried the work but I got over it really quick. My mind kept going to Colton and how I missed him, and his heat. Syd was relentless with her questions. After school was over I was walking with Syd to my car when I nearly tripped. There was hole and my foot caught on it. I went falling forward and really would have face planted if someone hadn’t grabbed my arm.

When I was stable I looked back and Colton had my arm. “Colton” I said breathless.

“The one and only.” He smirked and pulled me in a hug. “I missed you.” I could feel Syd’s eyes on us. I pulled back and part of me demanded to go back in the heat of his arms.

“Syd, this is Colton. Colton this is Sydney.”

“Ah yes the loud girl from the phone.” I glared at him but he just held out his hand to her.

Syd looked at him skeptical. “There’s no way you’re 19.” Colton arched a brow and looked at me.

I laughed nervously. “He just looks older than he really is.” Sydney eventually shook his hand and let it go. “Ummm Syd was going home with me so we could talk.”

“Do you mind if I join you?” he asked in a sweet voice. His silver eyes met mine and they were so intense. I couldn’t say no.

“Sure.”

“Good. I’ll follow you in my car.”

Syd and I quickly got in my car and strapped in. “Oh my God Tala, he’s freaking gorgeous.” Tell me about it. “You are so lucky. Any girl would love to be in your position.” No they wouldn’t. Not if they also knew what came with it.

I just drove and soon I saw his shiny black sports car behind us. Syd was talking the whole way there. I honestly ignored her and drove. At my house he pulled up behind me and got out. Syd went to asking him questions about college. I had to tell her a couples lies. Colton went with it and gave her simple answers.

We went inside to my living room and we watched TV. After a while Syd got up and went to the bathroom. I looked over to Colton. He was sitting on a chair across the living room. “Hey” I said.

Colton looked at me and smiled. “Hey.”

“Come here real quick.” Colton’s grin widened.

“No bring your cute butt over to me.” I rolled my eyes and got up. Colton patted his lap. I sat down and I looked at him.

“Thanks for going along with Syd’s questions. I know she can get intrusive but she’s just curious.”

“I would do anything for you my princess.” Was I a princess?

“Awww, is that your nickname? Princess.” I jumped a little as Syd came back in the room. I jumped up from his lap but he grabbed my hand and gently pulled trying to get me to sit back down. I did and I got real comfortable against his chest.

We watched more TV and Nate came home smelling like a sewer. “Ewww Nate. Ever heard of showering?” Syd said. It was ten times worse for us.

“Sorry. I fell in a ditch.” He looked it too. His clothes were covered in mud. “Hey Syd. Hey Tala, Colton.” Nate left and I was thankful.

“So does your family know about you two?”

Colton laughed. “Yes. I won them over.” Ha ha very funny Colton, I thought bitterly.

“Yup Colton made a whole big thing of it. It was like he took a bite right out of my heart.” Colton let out a low growl. I looked back and he was glaring at me. “What?” I whispered so Syd wouldn’t hear.

“That isn’t funny.” What was wrong with him? Colton focused on the TV and he didn’t look so happy anymore. Later Syd left, her dad came and picked her up. When it was just me and Colton I looked up to him.

“Alright, are you going to tell me what your problem is?”

He growled and said “I know I messed up, you don’t have to keep throwing it at me. I already-”

“What?” I asked interrupting. “Because I don’t remember you apologizing. In the hours that I had known you, you bit me, tried to mount me,” my cheeks burned “tried to have sex with me again, and then you scared me half to death.” I took a deep breath from my speech. “And by my count you apologized for one of those things.” I looked at him furious.

Colton looked away. “This is stupid.”

What?! That got me mad.

I jumped out of his lap and glared at him. “This is stupid? That means I’m stupid. Your mate is stupid.” I emphasized each word.

“I didn’t mean-”

“Whatever Colton. I’m done. You can’t get mad at me for nothing when you’re not so perfect either. Get out.” I pointed to the door. My blood was boiling and I was so mad.

He got up and towered over me. “Tala I didn’t”

“Get away from me” I shouted. Colton gave me one look and then he left. I hated the feeling of loss that tore at me once the door slammed shut behind him. Yelling at him hurt. Tears stung my eyes. I went to my room and curled up. Why did he have to be such a jerk?