Parties and Pastries.

( Caroline's POV. )

My mom used to say that I had a gift with people; speaking to them, joking with them, cheering them up, all of that mumbo jumbo. Granted, she'd been high when she told me this, but to this day, I still clung to it. I wasn't so great with words, though what I think she meant was my confidence. Or, the confidence that seemed to shoot off of me like bright rays of sunshine on a perfect summer day. I'd worked hard to give off that vibe, and apparently it paid off.

I could approach almost anyone, which was supposed to be helpful in the future. Presently, it made it easier to make friends—which I'd desperately needed, during my Freshman year especially. If I hadn't met Ponyboy, I wasn't sure where I'd be right this minute. Wherever I would've been, it definitely wouldn't be getting ready for a bash that Cherry Valance was attending, though.

[ Text from: Cherry Valance ]
Party's @ 10! Wear
something cute. ;)

Despite my social nature, I still got nervous about the idea of attending big events. I loved them, but they took some preparation. Cherry's party was no exception. I'd barely spoken to her, and the fact that I might have to spend an entire night with her terrified me to smithereens. Also, the winky face. What was that about? What did it mean? The only time I used those was with Ponyboy, and they were always in a joking manner. She hadn't made a joke, so I couldn't imagine why she'd even added that to the equation. Oh, shit. I was really overthinking this, wasn't I?

I could nearly hear my heart pounding in my ears, a deep breath filling and leaving my lungs shakily. I set my cell onto the bed and gazed into the mirror, blue-green eyes looking right back at me. "Caroline, you're gonna do this." I told myself slowly, picking up my tube of clear strawberry lip gloss and smoothing it over my lips. I went over my eyebrows with light brown eyeshadow; I never bought specific pencils for it. Most of my makeup was from the dollar store, but it did its job well enough.

A few moments later and I was ready to go. I checked my phone again, quickly texting Cherry back before clicking on Ponyboy's name.

[ Text to: Ponyboy ]
You guys ready yet?

( Johnny's POV. )

I had no idea why I actually agreed to go to this stupid thing. I knew showing off our 'relationship' was important, at least to Ponyboy, but a party? There was a reason I never went to these things. "That shirt makes you look like a brainless surfer," I scoffed, flickering my brown hues over to finally take notice to his appearance.

"And that shirt makes you look like a goth wannabe, but I guess we don't have time to sit and discuss it." I shifted uncomfortably, averting my eyes from him again.

"Can you, like, I dunno, put some pants on or something?" His bottom half was almost completely nude, due to his underwear being anything but modest. We'd certainly gotten... close since our first meeting.

"Why?" He laughed lightly, confusion lacing it. "Am I making you nervous?"

"N-no." I stuttered involuntarily, trying to force a convincing chuckle. God, I thought I'd gotten over that years ago. "I just didn't ask to see your ass."

"I bet it's 'cause it's turning you on."

"No it isn't!" I picked up the pair of gray jeans that laid on his bed, slinging them toward him roughly. "That's gross." He repulsed me. Maybe he was kind of cute, and maybe, maybe he had a nice smile, and his eyes were kind of pretty, but he repulsed me...

Attracted to him? Turned on by him? The possibility was completely unfathomable.

"Jeez, okay." He laughed again, holding his hands, as well as the pants, in the air in defense. "Come on, let's go." He finished dressing, pulling out his phone and typing something.

"I assume Caroline's on her way?"

"No, we're just gonna walk." The sarcasm was clear in his tone, and if he didn't annoy me so much I might've even cracked a smile. Instead, I just shot him a hard glare and scoffed in irritation.

"Did I ask for an attitude?"

"No," he paused, "but you got one anyway." I rolled my eyes.

"Gosh, you're a child."

"Yeah?" He eyed me for a second, then clicked his tongue. "You know what that makes you?" I turned my head to look at him, lips parting to allow me to speak... "A pedophile," he answered before I could say anything.

"Let's just go," I grumbled, already tired of this night.

***

"How long's this thing supposed to last?"

"A few hours, tops." Caroline twirled in her seat, causing Ponyboy to shakily catch the wheel. Her knee was propped beneath it, and she kept glancing at the road for safety, but it didn't make the situation any more reassuring. "I got it," she hissed at Pony defensively, then met my gaze. "You got a hot date after this?" I subconsciously eyed Ponyboy at the mention of a date, but shook my head nonetheless. I just wanted this thing to be over with.

"I'm not used to parties." Caroline finally turned to face the road completely, allowing her best friend to sigh in relief and go back to slumping comfortably in the passenger seat. He looked half asleep.

"You didn't have to come if you didn't wanna," she informed, but she didn't know the full story. For the next few months, wherever Ponyboy went, I went too.

"It's cool." I shifted my gaze to the window, watching the trees rush by absentmindedly. I didn't hang with any of the people that were going to be there, so 'uneasy' was an understatement for how I was feeling right now.

As soon as we stepped in, the redhead that had invited us in the first place rushed up, greeting Caroline first. She had a large smile on her cherry painted lips, a drunken laugh escaping her lips. Jesus, was she already wasted? My eyes scanned the room, and the more I saw everyone, the more I realized most of them were already drinking themselves silly.

"You're hereee!" Cherry slurred, grabbing Caroline's hands as though they were best friends. As far as I knew, this was the first the two had ever communicated outside of school, let alone partied. It all seemed so surreal to me. "Come here, let's get you a drink." She was already dragging her away. "Enjoy yourselves! Oh, and," she gave us a pathetic attempt at a wink, "bedrooms are upstairs."

A bright blush spread over Ponyboy's face, causing me to snort. Like I'd ever do anything with that mess of a boy.

"I saw some beers." I spoke up once the two girls had left our sight, gesturing for him to follow me. I'd move to whiskey later. Right now, I was far too sober. I didn't trust myself not to freak out and think of my dad, and honestly, I wasn't looking to have a panic attack in front of all of these people. Getting a few beers in my system first seemed like the smartest idea.

Who knew this night was about to change everything?