CEREUS - DREAMING

Meredith was grateful to the kind couple who took him in. He was grateful to have become Deraco's brother. He loved Deraco.

On their first encounter, Deraco was possessive. He was there first, and the man and the lady belonged to only him. Meredith fell in love with Deraco's passion. It was like a fire in the night forest.

The man and the lady showered Meredith with love. He was not used to this. It was a mellow, protective and caring love. But Meredith wanted something else. He wanted to be loved as ardently as Deraco loved the man and the lady. He longed for Deraco's attention and he got it.

Meredith looked forward to meal times. Deraco would eat Meredith's share of meat as well as his own. It made him happy that Deraco was willing to share with a filthy boy as himself.

Once, the couple said that Meredith looked like a pretty porcelain doll. They bought him new clothes. That day, Deraco threw a sharp stone at him. Meredith was accused of stealing the couple's love. He was sorry and hated himself for it, but Deraco had been kind towards him. The blood running from Meredith's cheek was red. The colour of love. Meredith's mama, before he met the couple, had said that the greatest display of love was blood.

Meredith had never loved anyone this much before. He always followed Deraco around. He wanted to do something for Deraco. He wanted to give him a present.

They met a generous man with a polished bow and a quiver of arrows by the flower field. The man seemed to have read their future. With a bemused laugh, he assured Meredith that his salvation was near, and that Deraco's desire will soon become reality. Meredith was jealous of the man because his words had made Deraco smile.

It was a rainy night when the lady saw Meredith sharing his food with Deraco. She must be a terrible green-eyed monster, Meredith thought, for she made Deraco kneel by the open window. Meredith wanted Deraco for himself, but he forgave the lady. His mama had always told him to share the things he loved.

In the middle of the night, Meredith sneaked to the window and wrapped the wet and trembling Deraco with his thick blanket. Meredith expressed his love for Deraco and kissed his cheek. Deraco's shivering body trembled harder with laughter. Pushing Meredith down, he produced a bread knife and grazed it along Meredith's neck before pointing it at his chest. Meredith wondered if he deserved this. Everyone was afraid of it, but Meredith has been experiencing only the happiest moments of his life since word about the Arolied spread. He felt special.

First, it was a bruise. Then, his protruding ribs broke. His flesh gave way. Deraco pinned his desire into Meredith's heart. The love overflowed and surrounded them both. It wet his shirt and splashed onto Deraco's lovely smile. He looked blissful by the moonlight. Meredith had given him the greatest gift. It was too much. Meredith cursed his weak heart for dying of happiness. He prayed to God to let him be with Deraco a little longer. At least until his lovely smile fades.

Just a little while longer.