LILIUM6

The Man gently carried her home. Smiling, he kept whispering that it will be alright, but he could not stop his own tears. He put her on the bed and convinced himself that she was going to take a long slumber and wake up again one day. The Man himself must have known that it was over, for he rarely slept and cried all the time. Vanrick tried to feed him to no avail. The Man never left her side. He caressed her dry hair and kissed her shriveled lips. Her body wanted to return to the Earth.

Vanrick saw his desire and it had always been the same. Vanrick had kept the Man alive, but he was never able to give him what he truly wanted.

He shot through the Man's heart. The Man smiled at Vanrick. It wasn't the usual empty smile. It did not hold any love, but it was brimming with gratitude. The Man collapsed. Kneeling, Vanrick prayed to God to take the Man to his beloved wife.

Vanrick watched them every day. There was an unpleasant smell in the air. It tasted bitter. As bitter as his heart felt. It had been three years since the entire village was abandoned. His life had not changed much compared to before. Vanrick hunted as usual. The Woman lied on the bed. The Man sat on the floor, his head resting on the bed. They lived together as they always had. The Man, Woman and Vanrick.