ACACIA - SECRET LOVE

Lightning and thunder raged outside. The castle doors rattled. Occasionally, a candle extinguished. The maiden walked around the lonely castle on the hill, keeping all the candles lit. She wanted the Sorcerer to come back to a lit and warm home. If only he could see how lit and warm her heart becomes for him.

Amidst the loud downpour, she heard a knock on the door. She felt it more than she heard it. She led in a hunter who was looking for shelter in the stormy night. His bow and quiver leaned against the table leg as he ate and drank from her generosity. No one comes to that part of the Forest. She wondered what brought him there.

They both sat at the table, waiting for the skies to clear. The maiden was worried about the Sorcerer. She closed her eyes and prayed for him to be save. She prayed that he will see her love for him one day.

It was true that he was distant and sometimes cold. However, the Sorcerer was always kind to her. As a mere human, she was not deserving of his love, but she could not help it.

She opened her eyes and the mysterious hunter was gone. She had not heard him leave in the heavy rain.

The front door burst open. She heard sharp claws being dragged across the floor and soft wheezing. There was a loud flapping noise. Black feathers, almost as hard as scales, flew in with a gust of wind. The candles blew out and the castle became darker.

The maiden rushed towards the dark shape seven times larger than herself. The smell of its burning wing poisoned the air. It must have been struck by lightning. Tears stained her face. She was restless. She wanted to help but did not know how to. Then, there was a heavy mist and the fire was gone.

The feathers turned to ash, revealing a beast three times her size. It fell on the floor, unconscious. Immediately, she hugged it and felt around for a beating heart. Its thick dark blue fur melted into viscous oil and drowned her. Nevertheless, she held onto the body inside. The oil receded. The maiden cradled the sleeping Sorcerer in her hands and kissed his forehead.

Suddenly, she gasped and pulled away in realisation. How dare a lowly existence such as herself, embrace the powerful Sorcerer? Embarrassed and afraid, she immediately stood up. The Sorcerer pulled her back down and locked her in his arms.

"Are you alright? The man whom you sheltered a moment ago had killing intent. I came as fast as I could," the Sorcerer breathed in a low whisper.

An apology was all she could stutter.

"I'm glad you're safe. I am not a good man. I have sinned many a times. But, please. Stay alive. Stay with me."