LONICERA - DEVOTION

Hemnes lingered around the elderly woman, watching her every move. She slowly sipped her medicine. It eased her cough. She went back to sleep. Hemnes followed her. He petted her back. She could not feel it. He sang her a lullaby she used to sing to him. She could not hear it. It was similar to that day. He had cried for her to look at him. She could not see him. Helplessly, he had watched her mourn beside his motionless body.

Hemnes had felt terrified and lost at that time. Now, there was a new fear. His form seemed to be fading to his own eyes. He grew more transparent by the day. A sense of urgency overtook him. Something had to be done.

Someone knocked on the door. The old woman painfully got out of bed. Two girls stood holding a basket filled with a variety of bread and some milk. Hemnes recognised them. Crenolette and Vera. They used to be orphans, stealing from the bakery. The lovely girl who worked there took them in. She had been feeding the old woman ever since he was gone.

What a lovely girl. With a lovely name too. Laura. He had been wanting to tell her just how deeply he had fallen in love with her. He would not be able to do so now.

Crenolette and Vera tidied the house before leaving. The old woman sighed. Hemnes watched is mother cry while calling out his name. He loved his mother. He did not want to leave her all on her own. Her old age made her sick often. She needed him. Why did she have to go through so much hardship? It must be the Arolied's doing. The birthplace of darkness had cast its shadow over them.

If only he were alive, Hemnes would cherish his mother until her last day. He would keep pain away from her. He needed to be alive again. Something had to be done.

Trusting that Laura would take care of his mother, Hemnes left the village. He was going to the Sorcerer who lived on the hill up north. It was far. He had to hurry before his entire form disappears.

Whispering prayers, Hemnes bravely journeyed. He would come back alive.