2: Miracle By the Bay

Before I continue my rant, I would like to introduce myself. The name's Darren. I'm from L.A., and I'm one of those "Asian-Americans" or whatever you call it. I mean, I'm not bilingual or multicultural or anything. I dunno, my ancestors were probably one of those railroad workers or something. Other than that, I'm basically what some would call a "twinkie"- white on the inside, yellow on the outside. Or a banana. Anyway I just speak English, unless you call Spanish 2 "fluent". Oh yeah and Japanese of course; I self-studied that so much. It was the first time I ever wanted to study anything. I think I'm pretty good, though, cause I understand around 75% of what's spoken in anime. I'm starting my junior year now, although I know that school starts in the spring in Japan, meaning that I'll be entering in the middle of the school year. I'm not that smart, really, but I'm not that dumb. I don't know how I won that scholarship... Anyways, I'm gonna stop boring you and get to the spicy and sweet stuff that my whole year was about.

A GIRL'S HIGH SCHOOL? THE LOVE LIVE SUNSHINE HIGH SCHOOL? I broke into a cold sweat then and there, squished between two people in the cramped confines of Economy Class.

"Am I that hot?" the girl next to me questioned. OH MY GOSH. She was not hot at all to be honest, and I've had it up to here with California girls. I never understood that song, like seriously, what's so great about them? Well, praise the Lord that I'm leaving this place behind! I prepare a savage, witty response to the girl but I get cut off as the plane shoots across the runway. My heart beats quickly, and I stare out the window as the city shrinks below me. In a minute, we are over the Pacific. Soon the clouds separate me from the world I left behind.

I'm so excited I can't sleep. I pull out my phone and try to play some School Idol Festival, but realize that I don't have internet after pressing "reload" about twenty times. I sigh, putting away my phone. I start tapping the floor, the foldout desk, the armrest.

"Will you cut it out? Seriously, what's your problem?" the girl hissed.

"Sorry, you're making me nervous, m'am."

"Oh, for f***'s sake." she rolled her eyes and turned away from me.

Eleven hours later.

"We are beginning our descent." Yes! I jerked up straight in my seat, waking my neighbors.

"Really?" the girl started. "Are you f-" something caught her eye in the window. "AHHHH IT'S JAPAN!" she squealed, bouncing up and down in her seat.

"Hey, quiet down!" someone shouted angrily, awoken by her shrill voice. I decide not to take this opportunity to criticize her for being a hypocrite, as I too am captivated by the landmass below us. It's really happening. My dream. Before I know it, I'm joining the girl, squealing at the top of my lungs. My adventure has begun.

My legs feel weak as I pull my suitcase along. It's afternoon, and the airport is bustling with activity. Ugh, I gotta find the Narita Express... right... I spend a while figuring everything out. I mean, I've never rode on a train by myself before. Like seriously, what type of person rides the train in L.A.? After getting to Tokyo, I transfer to the Tokaido Shinkansen, which will take me to Numazu, in Shizuoka. I resist the urge to just stay in Tokyo and hit up Akiba for the rest of my life. I do the right thing and find myself at the exit of Numazu Station. Dude. This is where Aqours comes all the time! Imagine I see them here or something. Okay, gotta take the bus to Uchiura. I find a seat at the bus stop, and lay my head back. Ahhh, so tired... I look out at the orange sunset, which bathed everything in its glorious color. It was pretty humid out, and the temperature was very comfortable. Man, I could just sleep there. Without knowing, I did. I should have slept on the plane. I really should've.