8: Saturday

8: Saturday

Refresher! I arrived at the elementary school where I was supposed to meet with Yukio for the English tutoring program. Apparently, Riko and Howard were there, too. Yesterday, Riko just said that the program was sketchy... and she's here now?

"Sa-Sakurauchi Riko? Wh-what are you doing here?" I stutter.

"Ah, Darren-san..." Riko blushed, brushing back her hair. "Actually, Howard-san asked me if I wanted to join the English Tutoring Program. I think it'll be really great if he joins. He can really help out with his English skills." I didn't look at Howard, who was just standing there with his polite smile. "I-I'm sorry, Darren-san, about what I said about the program yesterday. I was just ignorant... I think it's actually really nice. You and Yukio-san made a great choice coming here."

"Uh... whatever you say, Riko-chan." Really? She said the program was sketchy but she still came because of Howard? Really? Suddenly, Howard cleared his throat.

"Ahem. Excuse me, sir, but I don't believe we have talked in person yet. I am Howard Roberts, from London. I look forward to working with you." He reached out his hand, and I shook it.

"Ehe- nice to meet you. I'm Darren." I force a smile. Ugh... I can never work up the courage to be mean to people I dislike. Lol I guess I'm too shy.

"And you are?" Howard said, bowing to Yukio and extending his hand. Yukio giggled and said, "Tsushima Yukio." She shook his hand.

"Uh, okay Yukio, since you're the veteran here, what are we going to do now?" I asked.

"Well, let's head inside. I need to introduce you three at the 'teacher meeting'." Yukio led us into the school, and up to the third floor, into a classroom. It had all these old wooden desks with carvings and paint spilled in colorful splotches. The legs were rusted metal. When we entered, a group of around twelve teenagers were hanging around.

"Ahem. Hello everyone! These are our new volunteers! I hope you'll work with them well!" Yukio announced. The other volunteers just looked, then went back to what they were doing. All of them were paired in couples, sitting in each others' laps or holding hands. Ugh, what is this place. "Hehe, they're usually like that, sorry..." Yukio said to us. After that, the volunteers split up into groups to teach their respective classes. There were a number of elementary school kids now, and they filed into the classrooms. As we walked down the hallway, I saw the volunteers pass out a stack of English worksheets and just sit down, speaking only to their partners. What lousy people.

"So, what class are we teaching?" I ask.

"Well," Yukio replied, "my class. I usually just teach the class alone, but you three can join me. Here." We stopped at Yukio's class, and entered. It was a catastrophe. The kids were just running around, screaming and shouting. "Hey! Class! Good morning!" The kids totally ignored her, continuing to run around. "Class! Please be good today! We have new teachers!"

At this, the kids quieted down and looked at the new arrivals with wide eyes.

"Ehhh? A foreigner!" One chubby boy cried out, pointing at Howard. Within seconds, the kids were swarming over him, touching his golden hair.

"Heh, hello everyone!" Howard said. The kids all cheered, amazed at his English. Yukio split the class in half, so we could help them out in smaller groups. Yukio and I were in one group, Riko and Howard were in the other.

"Awwwww... why do we have to get old Yukio and this weird guy? Why can't we be with Howard-sensei!?" The chubby boy said. He had one of those faces that were always red and sweaty.

"Yeah!" His friends agreed. "Howard-sensei and Riko-sensei are so cool. I don't want to be with Yukio the witch!" I got really triggered when the boys said that. Seriously WHAT THE F***. Why would anyone be so mean to precious Yukio? She's the nicest person ever. Why?