Kind of a bad day

Mal was having a bad day, like a really bad day. One of those days where she wished she could just hide away in her room. Not talking to anyone. But with a boyfriend like Ben, that was hard to do.

Before Cotillion she often had days like this, where she actually could hide away, and Ben wouldn't notice. But he had become way too great at having time for everything. Which of course was nice, most of the time, except on days like this.

She looked at her mom in her cage. "I know what you would say," Mal said, "Love is weak and ridiculous, and a waste of time..."

The lizard/Maleficent moved so she was facing Mal, on the other side of the glass. She had a look in her eyes that told Mal, that that was exactly what she was thinking right now.

She opened her mouth, to defend herself, but suddenly found it stupid talking to a lizard, even know it was her mom.

She heard a knock on the door, and looked at the time. It was about the time Ben would normally be done with his work, if there weren't any problems. She had locked the door, and right now, she had no intentions opening it again.

"Mal, are you in there?" she heard Ben's voice ask, "Evie?"

She heard him leave, but knew he would be back, when he found out she wasn't anywhere else. Why did he have to be so nice all the time? If she told him that she wanted some time alone, he would just think she was dealing with something big, and needed his help. But all that also made her love him. "Love is so complicated," she said out loud, "But it's not weak or ridiculous." She turned her front to her mother's cage, and saw that she was watching her.

She heard a knock on the door again, and turned to look at the door. Had he already figured out she was in there? Out of curiosity she decided to just open the door.

And of course it was Ben.

"Hi Mal," he said, and smiled.

"Hi Ben," Mal tried with a false enthusiasm, "What's up?"

"Oh, I've just haven't seen you all day, so I thought I would say goodnight before I went to bed."

"How sweet of you, goodnight," she said, and started closing the door.

She heard Ben laugh, "That was a really bad move, if you wanted me to believe that nothing was wrong."

Mal sighed, "I'm sorry Ben," she said through the door, "I love you, goodnight."

"Now I will just have to keep bugging you for the rest of the night, if you won't talk to me."

She didn't answer him, instead she went to the bathroom, where she knew she couldn't hear him.

When she came back out, Ben was not to be heard, and she felt relieved until she heard someone unlock the door from the outside. And guess who it was, Ben.

Mal crossed her arms, and stared at him, "Ben?" she said, "Don't you know better than this?"

Ben looked like he was thinking about it. "Nah," he then said, "I actually don't." he put on a smile, that almost made Mal get out of her bad mood.

"Ben, okay, I really just want to be alone right now. And that's totally normal, so you don't have to worry about me, because nothing is wrong, okay?"

Ben shrugged his shoulders, "Okay."

"Ben," she said, right before he stepped out the door.

He turned around and looked at her.

"It has nothing to do with you. I'm just... you know... having a bad day."

Ben smiled, "It's okay. See you tomorrow?"

Mal nodded.

When he had closed the door behind him, Mal felt kind of dissapointed. She had expected that he would protest and say something deep to her, that would probably get her out of her bad mood. So why didn't he? Because she had told him?

She ran after him, and reached him right as he was opening the door. They both stepped inside before Mal asked, "What happened to you?"

Ben looked confused.

"Where did your big speech go? Why did you actually do what I said?" she asked.

Ben shrugged his shoulders, "I thought that was what you wanted."

"But you never do as I tell you," Mal complained.

"Sometimes i do," Ben protested.

Mal glared at him, "Not when it's something like this. And you can't say anything against that."

"Okay you're right," Ben said, "I just thought it was what you wanted, and I didn't want to upset you."

Mal still couldn't quite figure out why he had let it go this easy. "Don't change because of me," she said, "I want you to keep doing as you think is right." she paused, "And just because I tell you to leave, doesn't always mean I mean it."

Ben looked relieved, "Oh good, it was killing me acting like I could just ignore that something was wrong with you."

Mal looked at him, "What?"

"Oh, um... Someone told me it would be a good idea, but..."

Mal cut him off, "Who?"

"You don't know them."

"Yeah right," she said, but when Ben didn't say more, she decided to just let it go. "No one has the rights to tell you what to do. Do you think I would love you, if I found you annoying? I love that you always makes me come in a better mood, and that you're always breaking through the barrier that I'm building up, when I'm in a bad mood. And the only thing that can break that, is you doing as I'm not telling you to."

Ben smiled his teasing smile, "You're getting pretty good at the speeches yourself."

Mal punched him on the arm, and hugged him.

"So," Ben said, "What's the spell to cure a bad mood?"

Mal shrugged her shoulders, "True loves kiss?"

Ben kissed her, and even know it wasn't a spell in any book, it was still kind of magical.