Chapter 1

"You've been sick all this time and you didn't tell me?" Solerah frowned, her hand was clasped around Bruce's as they sat in a cab they had managed to hail in this downpour. She KNEW something had been wrong, she just didn't know how wrong, automatically dismissing worries because up until now to her knowledge it was impossible for Bruce to even catch a cold.

"I... Didn't want you to worry." Bruce mumbled to her, squeezing her hand tightly.

"Do you have any idea how worried I am knowing that you won't tell me things because you'll think I'll worry?" Solerah tried to keep her tone light, she knew Bruce wasn't exactly in the condition for her anger but she was mad. She was so incredibly mad but that was because she was worried. "I'm your wife Bruce you're suppose to tell me these things..."

Those words had admittingly cut Bruce but how was he suppose to tell her? He couldn't just TELL her. How he usually dealt with things was to handle them himself and just wait until they went away. "You're angry." That seemed to be the only response he could muster.

"I'm worried." Solerah let out a frustrated sigh.

"I think, I think I may have inherited a genetic condition. The symptoms are all seeming to match up and my grandfather had it." Bruce explained carefully, avoiding to give her key information that he knew because he just couldn't do it. He couldn't tell her.

"It doesn't matter okay? Just forget it." Her tone showed her frustration.

It most certainly did matter but Solerah decided that she had to let it go for now. Squeezing his hand back she gave him the best smile she could muster. "Let's just focus on the now. I assume you've got a plan in that big brain of yours?" Her voice had a forced sweet tone and even though Bruce knew her tone was fake he chose to ignore that for now in favour of moving on.

"Yeah, I have an old friend I think might be able to help."

The rest of the ride was silent and thankfully brief, they exited the cab, paying what little money they still had and in seconds were drenched again by the rain. Solerah looked up at the large building they had pulled up in front of in curiosity.

Solerah stayed behind as Bruce approached the door and knocked. They waited a moments.

"Who is it?" A female voice called out.

"It's-it's me Doctor Lipscombe. It's Bruce Banner."

The sound of door locks opening was heard and the door slowly opened.

"Do you remember me?" Bruce asked and Solerah let out a light gasp as the tall woman in front of them slapped Bruce harshly.

"I remember." Her tone was harsh.

Bruce held his face and Solerah could tell he was trying to calm himself down. She saw a tinge of green in his eyes flicker but then thankfully dull.

"Bruce Banner in the flesh." She spat and Solerah was wondering what kind of old friend this was. What had Bruce done to her?

"I'm a busy woman Bruce." Doctor Lipscombe stated when Bruce didn't speak up. "If you've finally summoned up the courage to see me I assume it must be because of a reason."

Doctor Lipscombe's eyes flicked over to Solerah, taking note of her drenched kitten appearance. Solerah decided to for once in her life keep her mouth shut. Whatever this was it was serious and she didn't feel it was her place to say anything right now.

"Well?" Doctor Lipscombe said, her attention back to Bruce.

"Angela, I, I don't know what to say. I guess I'm here to throw myself on the mercy of the court." Bruce risked looking up at the blonde woman.

"What?! You have the unbelievable gall to come here asking for a favour?!" Angela huffed before turning on her heel back inside. "I'm calling the police."

She left the door open as she walked away and Bruce stepped in after her. "Angela wait!"

Solerah felt like she was an outsider. Almost like she wasn't really here or like she was watching a television show unfold in front of her. She quickly shook those thoughts when she realised she was now standing alone in the rain and scurried to follow Bruce, shutting the door behind her.

"No you wait! You think you can just show up on my doorstep, just like that after what you did to me?!"

Solerah quickly followed them both into a kitchen.

"I don't hear from you in all these years and you suddenly appear like a half drowned dog looking for a bone!" Angela opened a cupboard and grabbed two dish towels throwing one each to Bruce and Solerah.

"I'm guessing half the United States Army is chasing after your sorry ass!" Angela continued to scream, letting out all her pent up frustration.

"Angela-" Bruce tried to speak up.

"I'm not finished! I'm not afraid of you, you know? I don't care if you can turn big green and furious!" She pointed at him and placed a hand on her hip. "So go ahead!" At this point her voice started to waver. "Do your worst!" She turned around so he didn't see her lip tremble. "See if I care!" She finished, raising a thumb to her eye to wipe an unshed tear.

Solerah felt bad because this woman was clearly distraught, as she tried to uselessly try herself watching them she desperately wanted to know what Bruce had done to scorn this woman.

"Angela please..." Bruce said, sounding pathetically sad causing the raving woman to turn around and freeze. All signs of anger disappeared when she saw that Bruce was in fact now crying.

"What, what is it? What happened?" She asked, now her face filled with worry.

"I-I have ALS..." Bruce admitted, looking up at her and the colour seemed to drain from Angela's face as she moved forward to hug him. "Oh my god Bruce..."

"I can't take this anymore!" Solerah burst, raising her hands and ruining what she presumed was a tender moment. "I'm sorry but I think I've been patient enough!" Her lip curled into what she tried to make a frown but was mostly just a pout. "What the hell is happening?!"