Chapter 7

Solerah had a rotten feeling in her stomach as she silently made her way through the familiar hallways of C.O.D.E.X. She was still in the system so luckily she hadn't needed to break in. She just had to be careful, she didn't want to bump into anyone she knew before she had a chance to get out. She made her way down a set of stairs to an empty corridor. She was entering one of the deepest most restricted areas of C.O.D.E.X. Was she really going to do this? Was she really going to steal from a place she had called her home for 6 decades? Her stomach churned as she thought back to how this whole mess started.

———————————-

Bored. Solerah was bored. Very bored. Soooo incredibly bored. Bruce and Angela were doing therapy sessions today and Solerah had been left to her own devices. Today she was feeling particularly restless and nothing seemed to satisfy her. TV? Nothing on. Singing? Too restless. Going for a walk? Her mind was not in a relaxed enough state to appreciate the nature around her.

She returned to her room, sitting on her bed and ended up fiddling with her Pocket Dimension Storage Vial and began sorting out her things, somewhat of a spring cleaning if you will. She ended up pulling out her old C.O.D.E.X. issued laptop. Maybe she could play a few rounds of solitaire? Ugh she was sad and bored.

After a few hours of mindless gaming and internet surfing her laptops screen suddenly went a strange screen.

"What the hell?"

Hello Miss Star.

The words flashed across her screen.

"I, uh, what?" She looked around the room and then back to her screen.

Please do type back, that is how communication works Little Star.

"Uhhh okay?" Solerah spoke to herself, if only to ease her mind with the sound of her own voice to ground her.

Hello?

Good afternoon.

Who are you?

Ah how rude of me. You may call me Mr Blue. I'm an old friend of Bruce's.

He's never talked about you before?

Well he and I did part ways at odds with eachother.

What do you want?

Well Miss Star, I have a proposition that you might be interested in. I may be able to help create a cure for your husbands disease.

What... Solerah froze in place. A cure? Could that really be possible?

You are telling the truth yes?

I am, and I would like to meet you personally to discuss matters with you. Come to the address I'll send through. And one more thing Miss Star, tell no one. Not even your husband. A single word to him and I will not help you. I look forward to meeting you my dear...

Solerah stared at the screen in disbelief. This is possibly the first time she's felt such a spark of hope within her since they've stayed with Angela.

A cure...
A hope...
A chance....

Her laptop pinged and an address appeared on her screen. Solerah wasted no time writing it down and quickly tearing the paper and shoving it in her pocket. She then wrote to Bruce that she was going out for a little while. She was going to cure Bruce!

———————————

"You-you want me to steal from C.O.D.E.X.?!" Solerah asked in shock, her mouth fallen open.

"I'm afraid that is a vital part of the deal Miss Star." Mr Blue, who remained shrouded in shadows answered. He had requested his identity stay as anonymous as possible and what little choice did Solerah have but to agree even though she was feeling more and more terrible about this person.

"I..." Solerah trailed off, biting her lip.

"Do you not want your husband to live? I am not asking much Miss Star." Mr Blue goaded her own.

Solerah closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "I'll do it."

————————————

Solerah was in, all she needed to do was find the right file...

"I was hoping to see you again, I was honestly devastated when I found out you left."

Solerah felt her blood run cold. No... It couldn't be...

She slowly turned around and her eyes widened exponentially.

"............... Alfie.............?"

She couldn't believe her eyes! He was here! He was in front of her! He was.... young...? He looked 30?

Solerah approached him cautiously.

"Alfie... Is that? Are you really?" She reached her hand up and tried to touch him. Her hand went right through his face.

"A hologram?"

"Not a hologram Star, a highly sophisticated AI created from Stark and Wakandan technology. Its me Star. I am Alfred's brain, his memories, his drive and passion. I am Alfred Redgrave." Alfred explained with a wide smile.

"Oh, Alfie..." Solerah hugged herself tightly and dropped to her knees on the ground as she choked back heavy sobs. She couldn't believe it! She was so happy! Alfred was here! She knew she couldn't hold him so she held herself in a vain attempt to calm herself.

"Alfie I've missed you so much!!!!" Solerah wailed grossly.

"I've missed you too Star." Alfred crouched on the ground beside her.

"Does it-does it bother you that you're an AI? Knowing your real self is de-dead?"

"Why would this bother me Star. I'm apart of the system, I can spend the rest of my life protecting everything I've ever held dear. Trust me Star I'm happy." He responded standing and spreading his arms, motioning to all the cabinets of files and documentaries surrounding them.

Solerah had calmed down, slightly, just enough to be able to talk clearly. She felt better knowing Alfred was happy.

"Oh Alfie, it's been so-so horrible since you've been gone!" Solerah confessed tears starting to form at the corner of her eyes again. Solerah proceeded to tell Alfred all of her woes . The entire 2 years that had been spent running and traveling and with Angela since Alfred had died. He listened to her dutifully and commenting on something every once in a while. Finally they began discussing the reason of her return.

"Alfie please. I NEED it. It's Bruce's only chance." Solerah begged, clasping her fingers together and praying towards him.

Alfred sighed deeply, of course he didn't breath but he still very much retained his habits when he was human.

"I'm a terribly security system..."

"You'll let me go?!"

Alfred nodded and Solerah squealed and leapt forward to hug him, falling flat on her face.

"AI Star, AI. Virtual body." Alfred clarified with a small grin.

"I KNOW that I just got excited okay?!" She huffed and picked herself out. Alfred directed her to the correct cabinet and file.

"Alfie... Thank you... I know how much C.O.D.E.X. means to you. I know you aren't doing this lightly." Solerah holding the folders delicately in her hands.

"You always will be my best friend Star. Just promise me when the heat dies down you'll come back to C.O.D.E.X. okay?" Alfred said with a sad smile.

"I will Alfie, I promise..."

Alfred moved towards her and wrapped her arms around her to simulate a hug. Solerah held back more tears and returned the gesture, arms hovering over his form.

"Now get out of here. I'll erase the video feed."

Solerah nodded and almost regretfully she turned and began running away. She didn't want to leave him, but she had too. Bruce needed her! Solerah vowed to herself she would return eventually to see Alfred again.