ll . s i x (a) • the spy

When we began driving after leaving the Wheelers, it had gotten darker outside, Hawkins always had a bit of darkness you could see, but when it was night you could feel all the darkness Hawkins held within it, and that's what made it so creepy during nighttime.

Hammer To Fall had began playing on the Stereo and we all sat in silence. While driving Dustin and I filled in Steve on the Dart situation and where we had locked him in.

"Wait a sec. How big?" Steve asked through in the silence

"First he was like this. Now he's like this." Dustin told him leaning forward in the back seat, sticking his head between the drivers and passengers seat, using his hands to show the difference in Darts size.

"I swear to God man, it's just some lizard, okay?" Steve told us trying to cope with what we had previously filled him in on

"Um not it is not a lizard" I told him rolling my eyes at his doubtfulness

"How do you know?" He answered back loudly

"How do we know its not a lizard?" Dustin asked sarcastically

"Yeah, how do you know its not just a lizard!?" Yelled back towards us, using his hands for affect

"Because his face opened up!" I retorted back because he was still questioning monster Dart.

"And he ate my cat" Dustin followed up sternly with what I had said

"How often do you see lizards doing that Steve? Probably not very often huh?" I told him nonchalantly, as Dustin and I proved him wrong. He didn't answer back and just nodded head in an agreeing matter.

We pulled up to our house and parked outside the driveway. All of us got out of the vehicle and made out way to the trunk so Steve could grab his bat. When Steve opened the trunk he tossed Dustin his keys, as he easily caught them, Steve then pulled out his bat spinning it in his hand slightly before looking at Dustin and I and slamming his trunk shut.

I had been holding the flashlight as we made our way back to the cellar doors Dustin and I had once locked shut. Upon approaching the locked doors, Dustin stood farther back then Steve and I who were right in front of it. What was odd was there was no noise coming from inside the cellar, only the owls and other night animals in the woods around our house.

"I don't hear shit." Steve told us, basically reading my mind. I handed Steve the flashlight he had been holding his hand out for.

"Well, he's in there" Dustin told him in response. We stood there quietly looking at each other before Steve lightly tapped the metal doors. Nothing had happened so he hit the doors harder, and still nothing happened.

"Alright, listen kid. If this is some sort of Halloween prank, you're dead." Steve told my brother, shining the flashlight in his face

"It's not. Besides if it was, why would Hazel even agree to it?" Dustin asked squinting through the light. Steve didn't respond and brought the light to my face.

"Okay, Steve. Please get that out of my face." I asked shielding my eyes from the bright light with my hand, immediately after Steve brought the light back to Dustin. I blinked a few times trying to clear the purple and yellow lights that temporarily appeared in my eyesight.

"Its not a prank." Dustin stated once again

"You got a key to this thing?" Steve asked bringing the light down onto the doors. Dustin quickly ran inside to grab the keys and ran back out to us, holding them in his hand.

"Who is gonna open it? Are we gonna do like Rock Paper Scissors? Pull straws?" I asked getting ready around if I had to open it. Steve just looked at me with a small smile as I nervously moved around, anxiously waiting and he turned back to Dustin and grabbed the keys, and unlocked the lock, then opening both doors. Dustin and I had leaned over beside Steve to take a look down the dark cellar.