Opposites Interact!

The very next day, Dawn was training with her Pachirisu and Mamoswine. Ash was still training with Gible.

Ranee was with them, training with her Lopunny and Ariados. Brock was observing them all, smiling.

Just then, Brock went over to Dawn, seeing her sad face.

Brock asked her, "Dawn? What's wrong?"

Dawn fibbed, "I'm fine, Brock. No need to worry..."

Ranee went over to Ash, leaned in and whispered, "Dawn might look like she's okay but I think she's still heartbroken over Kenny losing and messing up on his fusion move."

Ash nodded and whispered, "I think you're right. I know they are best friends and rivals so it's understandable why Dawn would act that way."

Ranee sighed a bit in annoyance as she pointed out, "Yeah but Dawn's got a crush on Kenny. And he with her."

Ash responded, "I know."

Ranee's eyes widen in surprise and asked, "You know?"

Ash nodded and answered, "Yeah because I have a crush on Misty. But she's so far away, working at the Cerulean City gym."

Ranee perked up and asked, "I've been to the Cerulean Gym before. Lily, Violet, and Daisy said that they had a little sister traveling with her friends. I'm assuming you mean her?"

Ash answered, "Yeah, that's her. She was first human best friend and she was always there for me. But when she had to return to Cerulean City to become the gym leader, I lost her. I only again saw her when she came to Hoenn, when I came home from Hoenn, when she travelled with us for a short while. Her lure and her hankie plus the memories of our travels are the last things I have to remember her by..."

Ranee looked sad as she grasped her silver locket around her neck. She stated, "I know what you mean. This locket is the only thing I have to remember my best friend by."

Ash breathed, "It is beautiful."

Ranee was about to thank him when all of the sudden, Gible's Draco Meteor messed up again. It headed straight towards Piplup.

Togekiss reacted quickly and bounced the meteors back (using its wings) towards Gible, Ash, Pikachu, and Ranee. The meteors hit the ground and covered them with smoke.

Dawn shouted, running over, "Are you guys okay?"

Ranee reassured, "Yes, I'm fine. Just dusty."

Ash chuckled and added, "Yeah, me too!"

Zoey and Nando came over as they all started to talk about their next challenge. Brock helped Ash with his clothes and Dawn helped Ranee with her clothes.

The girls went to Ranee's room to dust her off.

Ranee grumbled, "I guess Gible needs more training?"

Dawn told her, "It always happens with its Draco Meteor. Always goes after Piplup."

"Pip pip lup!" Piplup squeaked in agreement.

Ranee patted down her clothes as Dawn got out her contest dress.

Dawn gushed, "Oh my gosh, this dress is so pretty! I can't wait till I'm sixteen!"

"Piplup..." Piplup groaned, not sharing its trainer's enthusiasm.

Ranee teased Piplup, "On that we agree."

...

Later that day, Dawn was facing off against Ursula. She sent out Pachirisu and Mamoswine. They both were ready. Ursula sent out her Gabite and Flareon.