twelve

Chapter Twelve

Peter's POV

"Alright cut the crap, Peter, what's going on with you? Why do you seem so jittery?" Ned inquired in tone so determined yet so quiet that I wasn't sure MJ could even hear from where they sat a few feet away. In response, I simply stared down at my hands, fidgeting with them constantly so that Ned couldn't tell that they were shaking. "I'm serious, dude. I'm worried about you."

It was the end of the day, and the three of us were all sat in the library like we usually did, either picking at homework or joking about something that had happened during our lunch period. However, today was different. Today I was going to finally get to work with Tony Stark. Tony-fucking-Iron Man-fucking-Stark. The man I had grown up watching on all the "breaking news" coverage, watching him battle aliens and robots, the man I strived to be was on his way to see me at this very moment.

l felt a poke in my side suddenly and jerked around to see MJ kneeling there, looking at me expectantly. I hadn't even seen them move over to me in my daze.

"I, uh, I have a meeting with Tony Stark today," I said simply, still staring off into no where. My stomach was doing flips, and it definitely wasn't because I had skipped lunch.

"Stark? Tony Stark? As in, Stark Industries? The Avengers?" Ned practically squealed.

"Damn, Parker. I knew you were smart, but... Damn!" MJ said. They tended to show emotion much less than Ned, so I took pride in the fact that their eyes were nearly bugging out of their head.

"Y-yeah," I mumbled. "I, uh, he wants to hook me up with an internship."

Ned exclaimed something else then, but I wasn't around to hear it as the bell finally rang. I yanked my backpack onto one shoulder, leapt over the table, and sprinted towards the exit, ignoring the librarian's complaints behind me. Tony Stark, Tony Stark, Tony Stark, my head kept chanting.

The second I made it out of the building, I knew exactly where I was heading. Tony had said that I would know the car when I saw it, and I sure did. The slick black vehicle appeared as though it could keep all 43 presidents safely inside during a nuclear attack. A man was standing outside of it, dressed in a suit with rather intimidating sunglasses. I was no longer running, but instead cautiously walked towards the sight. By now, other students were bustling out of the school, and I began walking between them only to see that the important looking man's eyes were on me. Somehow. I don't know how I could tell with the sunglasses, but he was watching my every move.

What if he was actual sent by the FBI to arrest me? What if this was all just some prank? What if he was an evil villain who murdered Tony Stark on the way over here and was now going after me? What if-

"Mr. Parker," a voice greeted me. I looked up suddenly to see that I had stopped about ten feet away from the vehicle. The man had lowered his sunglasses to stare at me, and all I could do was stare back with fear. "My name is Happy Hogan. Now, are you going to get in the car or not?" He was standing, rather annoyed, holding the back door of the car open to me.

I glanced behind me, as if second guessing that he was really talking to me of all people, only to find a few passer-byers glancing our way curiously.

"Yes, you. Now, get in the car. People are staring," he slipped his sunnies back on, and I quickly stepped forward, carefully sliding onto the clean leather seats of the back of the car. I was met with the cool rush on the AC, and nearly jumped when the door next to me closed once more.