eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

Peter's POV

To say that I was jumpy was an understatement.

School had just ended a few days ago, marking the end of my freshman year, and now it was finally time for me to focus on my "internship". In other words, I was going to be spending the next few weeks of my time at Avengers Tower with Mr. Stark and everyone.

"Mr. Parker," Happy greeted me as he opened the door of the vehicle to let me out. I noticed that he had gotten my suitcase out of the trunk.

"I can bring that with me, you don't have to."

"Your wish is my command," Happy said, immediately releasing his grip on the handle of the luggage as he shut the car door behind me and began walking into the building. I frowned at his eagerness to get me out of his hair. I wouldn't say that Happy was unlikable, but he definitely wasn't the most warm and fuzzy.

As I breathlessly followed Happy's tall figure through the large lobby, down a few hallways and into the elevator, I tugged helplessly at the ever-tightening binder beneath my sweatshirt. Once again, if it weren't for spider webs, this Spider-Man would be a hell of a lot less mobile. Happy left me at the door with a huff. I frowned, looking back at him, only to turn back around to Tony Stark standing in the doorway.

"Mr. Stark! Hi!" I squeaked out.

His gaze landed behind me. "Happy's just annoyed because we're going to have a full house soon. He doesn't like having to babysit us all. Don't take it personally."

"Oh, no- no I wasn't, he's fine, I-"

He laughed. "You're too forgiving, kid. You gotta expect more from people. C'mon in, I wanna show you your room." He placed a hand on my shoulder, leading me through the doorway, and I flinched at the unexpected contact and hurried inside.

I was slightly confused when he proceeded to lead me to the exact room that I had stayed in upon my last visit, until he opened the door. The once hotel-room-esque quarters had been transformed into something much more homey. What had been white walls and white sheets were now a comfortable theme of red and blue, just like my room back at the apartment. The walls were covered in old movie posters, and there was a bunk bed along one wall. In the midst of this modern mansion I was in, I was beyond relieved to have something of my own.

"Do you like it?" Tony asked from behind me.

"I love it," I breathed, still taking it all in. Grinning, I turned around and hugged him instinctively, until I remembered where I was and who he was, and then I quickly let go, blushing. "Thank you," I mumbled in embarrassment.

He only chuckled lightly. "I'll let you settle in later, but we have a busy night tonight."

I followed curtly behind him as he began walking back towards the main room. "What was that you said about having a full house?" I asked, trying to distract myself from the fact that I had just hugged him. My cheeks burned red.

Before he even had time to answer, two more slightly familiar-looking characters entered the picture. They both eyed me cautiously, and finally the one with the long brown hair spoke. "Hey... lil' G."

I squinted my eyes at the strange man, who seemed to be terribly awkward at first greetings.

"Man, that's not what I told you to say. Stop trying to be hip with the kids," the other scolded him. Then, he turned to me. "You must be Pete. Spidey-boy, or whatever. I'm sorry about Bucky here, I'm trying to teach him slang but it's apparently not sticking. Unlike you, yknow. Get it? Cos you stick to buildings? Anyway, I'm Sam. This is Bucky."