sixteen // make me whole again

Veronica had spent her new time searching for a therapist for Giselle. They had been living with JD in Sherwood for three weeks now. She finally found one, a psychiatric center for children, including adolescents. Today was the day that she and JD, who took off work to be there, were taking Giselle to the therapist. She was wearing a large grey t-shirt with a navy collar, a red hoodie and black sweatpants. As usual, she was wearing dirtied white converse.

"We're here for Giselle Sawyer." Veronica told the receptionist, who nodded and told them to take a seat and wait. The three sat down in the plastic-material like chairs and tried to focus.

"Remember what we talked about, okay?" JD reminded Elle, she nodded her head a little bit. On the ride to the psychiatric center, Veronica and Jason made sure to tell Elle that she could not talk about Heather saying they killed her, that it was their secret and could land them in a lot of trouble causing her to get taken away. She promised she wouldn't say a word. Veronica touched her daughter's light blonde hair gently, petting it down. It wasn't styled at all today, it was sitting naturally, almost straight and shaggy.

Within ten minutes, the small family was called back into the therapist's office. Giselle sat on the couch, beside her mother who was next to her father. JD was holding Veronica's hand, squeezing it gently, letting her know that things would be okay. She was more worried than Elle was about this appointment.

"You must be Giselle," The therapist said to Elle, who nodded. "I'm Catherine." She told the family. Catherine was very friendly looking, with brown hair and blue eyes and slightly tanned skin.

"I'm JD, this is my fiancé Veronica and Giselle is our daughter." JD introduced his family.

"So, what brings you all here today?" Catherine asked.

"Giselle's been hallucinating and dissociating badly lately." Veronica replied. "She's been seeing an older girl since she was little. It was actually a friend of mine in high school, Heather Chandler."

"The Westerburg girl." Catherine noted.

"Yeah," Veronica tensed. "But the episodes have caused Elle to try and hurt herself, she tried to kill herself once too. We took away all sharp objects after that."

"Show the lady your arm, Ellie." JD urged his daughter, who lifted up her red sleeve and held out her thin arm. There was a jagged mark on it, between the stages of scabbing and scarring.

"And why did you do that, sweetie?" Catherine asked.

"Heather told me that she'll go away when I die, then she said I should kill myself." Elle mumbled a response.

Catherine turned to Veronica and Jason. "Have you two considered medication at all?" She asked.

"No. We don't want to medicate our seven year old." JD narrowed his eyes, annoyed that this was the first fix mentioned.

"Has she ever been to any other therapists?" Catherine questioned.

"No, her father and I just recently got back together. He was assumed dead after an accident, I found out I was pregnant and moved away. But then I had a job opportunity here and he found me. I didn't have the money." Veronica explained.

"And you do what for a living?" Catherine asked JD.

"I'm a private investigator, I make plenty of money to afford the best help for my little girl." JD told her.

"This is going to be a very long process. There will be individual sessions, family sessions, group sessions and possibly a psychiatrist for diagnoses and maybe meds if you two change your mind." Catherine said. "Are you two up to do whatever it takes to help your daughter?"

"Of course we are." JD scoffed, and Veronica nodded in agreement.

"Well, we should probably start with weekly sessions. Beginning next week." Catherine said. "Does Tuesday at 3:00 work for you?" She asked.

"Yes." JD answered, it would work. All that had to happen was him leaving work early, picking up Veronica and the two of them picking up Giselle from school a tad bit early. Which, to him, was not a lot of work for something.

"Great. I'll see you then." Catherine smiled tightly at Jason and Veronica before turning to Elle. "Have a good day, okay, sweetie?" Elle nodded a bit numbly, she wasn't focusing on the words at all. Jason and Veronica stood up, JD picked up Elle and carried her out with Veronica beside them. None of them said goodbyes.

Once Elle was in the backseat, with Jason and Veronica in the front, they let out a sigh of relief.

"I can't believe meds was the first thing she mentioned, not even ten minutes after meeting our daughter." JD grumbled.

"I think therapy should be the first go-to, not meds. If she doesn't get much better or she gets worse, we have to consider it. But not yet." Veronica replied.

"I agree." JD said. "So, you doing okay kiddo?" He asked Elle, who just nodded as if she didn't even notice what was said but rather did it out of habit.

"Do you want to get something for lunch?" Veronica asked.

"We can get anything you want." JD added.

But Elle didn't say anything at all. She didn't respond but rather kept nodding slightly every couple of seconds and staring into space.

"Pull over." Veronica told JD, who yanked the car to the side of the road. The two got out and sat in the backseat with Elle. "Ellie girl, hey, it's me." Veronica whispered. Elle let out a groan in response. "Elle, it's mom, talk to me baby." She begged.

"Don't wanna," Elle whined. "Just wanna die."

"No, Ellie, stop saying that." Veronica told her but she just groaned out in agony of her mind.

"Take me home," Elle cried out. Veronica looked at JD and like before, they talked without words. JD nodded a little bit before getting into the driver's seat and starting to drive them all home while Veronica stayed with Elle in the backseat, petting her head softly and whispering songs to her.