-

At long last, the vast darkness swallowed the milky heavens

At long last, the vast darkness swallowed the milky heavens. Glacial winds began to infiltrate the misty forest. Under the dreary night sky, the two settled on an open area, resting their backs on the trunk of the trees respectively, and succumbed to sleep through the night. In the silence that ensued, the flickering fire at the center kept them warm.

When the flames consumed the woods and ultimately exhausted, Zera roused from her sleep by the freezing temperature. She snuggled close to her fur cloak and tried to resume her sleep until she heard a howling sound. Her eyes opened quickly and warily looked around her surroundings. Meanwhile, Namjoon is still asleep with his head lowered and crossed arms to the other tree next to her, seemingly undisturbed.

There was another howl again and this time much louder. Zera steadily rose up and shuddered in fear when she faced a huge dim figure—almost tall as the trees—only a short distance away. Amidst the thick fog shrouding the area, she can see the silhouette of a furry creature—somehow close to an appearance of a wolf. She gasped and was about to speak when a hand covered her mouth, followed by a shush from someone behind her.

Namjoon hastily pulled her backwards and they hid behind a tree; his hand still covering her mouth while the other hand on her waist—keeping her back firmly against his chest. Zera glanced upward at him and she was surprised to see him fully awake when he looked sound asleep before. He was also peering back at the wolf with unsettling expression. She may not know his judgement or whatever motive on his mind, but it seems she'll have to trust him for this alarming matter.

On a side note, she can't get the brazen idea out of her mind concerning the closure of their bodies, and the warm sensation from him radiating over her freezing body. How pleasant it felt. In the same manner as wanting to prolong this experience she's having with him. Alas, Zera felt shameful for herself.

Namjoon attentively observed the wolf amongst the mist; maintaining its antagonistic stance, and emitting a low growl. It didn't take long the wolf moved its limbs, retreating back, and then just vanished. He lowered his shoulders and exhaled deeply before releasing her. Zera took a peek too, though the wolf is already gone.

"Was that a giant wolf?" She asked in a whisper.

He didn't utter a word, but judging from his perturbed face despite his usual laid-back nature, the thief seems too bothered about their unexpected encounter of the huge creature. Is it because he was scared too? Or was he familiar with the wolf and knew something? These questions ran through her mind. Though it was a stroke of fortune that they're still alive.

"We better get out of here!" He said, prompting her to follow him and leave the area with haste.

Thus, the duo began to walk again, finding the way out of eastlore forest. Their travel wasn't that long but when she looked up, the skies were gradually turning bright, casting honeyed sheen over the trees. The mist veiling the trees and alike diminished. Their scruffy boots keep crushing the pitiful dry leaves. As time passes, whenever she keeps asking about his well-being, he would always answer, "I'm fine," then raising his one eyebrow; giving her a confused look.

Zera couldn't help worrying about him, even when they took a rest break and had a roasted rabbit—which he caught—for their meal. Although he looked fine and casual now than before, maybe she overestimated him and should keep in her mind that the legendary hero knows fear too. As for the fake hero, he felt a little bit edgy over the fact that she's keeping an eye on him, and he's trying to ignore it.

Once their appetite was satiated, thirst comes about for the female traveler, but the water skin she has is empty. Luckily, there's a spring nearby where she could get a water to drink. When she arrived alone at the edge of a wide body of water, she knelt down and gently tipped the lip of the water skin.

"Good day, miss!"

Zera ceased collecting water as she stood up and met a young man near to her side; smiling, sitting on top of a smoothed large rock, and a fiddle and bow resting on his lap. He's also quite charming with his smooth and plump cheeks. She doesn't remember anyone residing near the spring before. It's like he appeared out of thin air.

"Hi?" She blinked twice and also rubbed her eyes to confirm the existence of the strange guy.

"Would you mind to give this poor guy a food to eat?" He frowned and tilted his head a little sideways.

Zera didn't hesitate to get the berries in her sling bag she found a while ago and then gave it to him. "This is all I have."

He beamed broadly and said, "Thank you! I will repay your kindness by playing a nice music for you."

He happily picked up the fiddle, bringing up to his neck, and then commenced using the bow. The tempo was slow and soothing like a cascade of snow. Little by little, the paces of the melody becoming faster like a turbulent blizzard. Zera enjoyed its airy music when she upturned the corners of her mouth. But that smile on her face soon faltered.

The dramatic change of music was dense as if it morphed into a grotesque tune. Something strange is happening to her vision; everything is distorted and fuzzy on all sides. Next, her limbs became paralyzed and ultimately putting her into a light trance. She cannot do anything now to stop the imminent danger.