33.

Steve waited in front of the supply closet. He wasn't sure what Jonathan wanted to talk about but he felt kind of uneasy about whatever it was. Why couldn't he just talk to him about it at lunch or over kik? Why did they have to meet by a supply closet of all places?

Steve was - literally - pulled out of his thoughts when someone grabbed his wrist and pulled him into a room.

"What the fu-" He looked around the room and saw that he was in the supply closet and that Jonathan was the one who pulled him in there. "Oh, hey."

"Hey." Jonathan said seriously. Steve got even more worried. It just felt like something was wrong. He looked down and realized that Jonathan still had his hand locked around his wrist. He bit back a smile. For some reason, deep down, he liked Jonathan having a hold of him.

"Why did you want us to meet up here?" Steve asked causing Jonathan to sigh, putting his free hand in his pocket and looking around the small closet. "What's wrong?"

"You know the conversation we had last night?"

"Yeah." Steve nodded. "What about it?"

"You didn't..." Jonathan trailed off, avoiding any eye contact with Steve. "You didn't-"

"I didn't what?" Steve questioned, trying to figure about what Jonathan was trying to say.

"You didn't...tell anyone, did you?" Jonathan regretted those words as soon as they fell off his tongue. He didn't want Steve to think he didn't trust him or anything, he was just paranoid about that type of stuff.

"What?" Steve asked, finally pulling his wrist out from Jonathan's grip. "You really think I would tell someone?"

Jonathan shrugged. "I mean, not really. I just didn't know if maybe you accidentally told Tommy or Carol or Nan-"

"No, I didn't accidentally tell anyone." Steve scoffed. He was kind of offended. "I promised I wouldn't and I kept that promise. But it's nice to know that you don't trust me."

"Steve, it's not that I don't trust you. If I didn't trust you I wouldn't have even told you in the first place. It's just that, I don't know, it felt like people were staring at me and judging me. You know, people here aren't the nicest when it comes to people being gay. So, you...you can't really blame me for being scared. People already don't like me and if they kne-"

"Hey, hey, hey." Steve interrupted Jonathan when he noticed how shaky his voice was and how his eyes glazed over a little. "I get it. I get why you're scared, but I didn't tell anyone and I won't tell anyone. And if anyone ever did find out about you and decided to mess with you, I'd beat their ass, alright?"

Jonathan nodded and pulled Steve into his embrace, taking the older boy off guard. He was just so thankful he finally had a friend. Someone who actually have a shit about him and his feelings other than his family. "Thank you."

"It's really no problem." Steve hugged him back. "You're a great guy and if people don't see that, they're idiots."

"Thanks." Jonathan thanked him again. "You know, you are too."

Steve backed out of the hug with a confused expression covering his face. "I'm an idiot too?"

"No." Jonathan laughed. "You're a great guy too. You know that, right?"

Steve shrugged. "Not really."

"Why do you say that?"

"I don't know. I feel like I can be a douchebag at times. As if people are afraid to approach me or talk to me because they think I'll shoot them down or something." Steve rambled. "Maybe it's something I did in the past? I have my bad moments every now and then. Maybe it's because I come across as selfish? I can be pretty selfish at times. Or maybe-"

"Maybe it's because they don't know the real you." Jonathan interrupted Steve's rambling.

Steve raised his eyebrows. "The real me?"

Jonathan nodded. "Yeah, the real you. The real Steve Harrington."

Steve had a smug smirk on his face. "Well, who does know the real Steve Harrington? You?"

A smirk also played on Jonathan's lips. The two boys both found their conversation pretty entertaining. "Yeah. I'd at least say so."

"Okay." Steve stepped closer to the other boy. "Since you know the real Steve Harrington so well, tell me about him. Because I'm kind of lost."

"Well, he's pretty funny."

"Oh, is he now?"

"Yep." Jonathan nodded. Now it was his turn to step closer to Steve, leaving barely any space between the two. "Really funny. Sort of charming, even."

Steve laughed, raising his eyebrows once again. "Charming? How is he charming?"

"He's charming with his jokes, his memes, and his ability to make any situation into a funny one when he thinks it's necessary. But if it's a serious situation, he won't make it into a funny one. He'll talk you through it. Also, he's nice."

"No he's not." Steve shook his head. "What makes you say that he's nice?"

"He listens to what you have to say. You can trust him to keep your secrets. He's not a judgemental person, even if he comes across as one. When you get to know him, he's a pretty amazing person."

At this point, the boys' faces were only a couple of inches apart. They both were staring at each other with smirks on their lips and something in their eyes. They didn't know what it was, but it obviously wasn't something just friends looked at each other with.

Steve felt the urge to lean in closer and just as he began to do so, he was being hit by a door.

"Ugh, not again." A janitor said, a look of disgust plastered across his face. "You know what, I have to go take care of something, so just be done doing whatever you're doing by the time I get back." He quickly shut the door and left.

Steve and Jonathan stood in an awkward silence. They were now several feet apart from each other and avoiding eye contact. They both had the same question lingering in their minds.

'What would have happened if we hadn't of been interrupted?'

Jonathan grabbed his bag off the floor and made his way to the door. "I should get to lunch. I'll see you after school."

He rushed out, leaving Steve in there alone with his little friend, who wasn't exactly little anymore.

tHIS CHAPTER IS KINDA LONG BUT ALSO KINDA WEIRD AND ALL OVER THE PLACE SO I APOLOGIZE. BUT PARTY CHAPTERS ARE NEXT, YEET.