88.

Jonathan and Nancy went straight to the mall after school. The car ride was silent for the most part just because Jonathan was far too worried about Steve and couldn't focus on anything else long enough to carry out a conversation.

They got to the mall and as they were walking through it, Nancy decided to start up a conversation. "How are you?"

"What?"

"We've been so focused on Steve that I haven't gotten a chance to ask you how you're doing." Nancy looked at Jonathan. "Are you okay?"

Jonathan shrugged and kept his eyes forward as they continued to walk. "I guess. I don't know. Why are you asking?"

"Because everyone knows about you now too. And you weren't ready for people to know, were you?"

Jonathan took a deep breath. He was so worried about Steve that he hadn't even thought about the fact that everyone now knew he was gay. "No. I wasn't."

They finally made it to Scoops Ahoy but Nancy grabbed Jonathan's arm before he could walk in. "I got your back, Jonathan. If you ever need someone, I'm here for you."

Jonathan smiled. "Thanks, Nancy."

Nancy smiled back at him before looking into Scoops Ahoy. "Who is that?"

Jonathan followed Nancy's glance. "That's Robin. You don't know her?"

Nancy shook her head but she didn't look away from the dirty blonde. "No."

"She goes to Hawkin's. She's pretty cool." Nancy nodded, only half paying attention to Jonathan. It was like her eye's were glued to Robin. He noticed this and raised an eyebrow. "Um, you wanna go in or do you just wanna stare at her forev-"

Nancy quickly snapped out of it and looked back at Jonathan. "I wasn't staring! I was just-"

"Yeah, yeah. Let's go." Jonathan walked into the ice cream parlor and Nancy followed. They had to wait in a line but it wasn't long before they made it to the counter. "Hey, Robin."

"Hey, Jonathan." Robin greeted him. Her glance met with Nancy's. "Hello, Nancy."

"Hi. I'm Nancy." Nancy's cheeks immediately flushed. "I don't know why I said that. You obviously already know who I am because you just said-"

"It's okay." Robin laughed. "I'm Robin."

"Nice to meet you, Robin." Nancy said before remembering the reason they were even there in the first place. "Um, is Steve here?"

Robin looked behind her before turning back towards them. It seemed like she was hesitant. "No, actually. He called in sick today."

"Oh." Jonathan's face fell. "Damn."

"But if I hear anything else from him I'll be sure to let you know." Robin said when she noticed how disappointed he looked.

"Okay. Thanks." Jonathan gave her a small smile. "See you later, Robin."

"See ya." Robin smirked when her eyes landed on Nancy again. "I'll see you around, Nancy?"

"Hopefully." Nancy's cheeks got even redder than they already were when she realized she said that out loud. "Um...yeah. See ya." She gave Robin a quick little wave goodbye before rushing out of there with Jonathan.

"Well, that was a bust." Jonathan said as they walked back towards the mall entrance. "What should we do now?"

"If he didn't even go into work, he probably doesn't want to be around anyone right now. We should probably just stop looking for him."

"You think we should stop?" Jonathan asked. "I feel like I should be there for him."

"And you will, when he wants you to be. You can't help it if he wants to be alone." Jonathan nodded and Nancy turned to him. "What do you say we stay here for a little while? Maybe shop around or see a movie or something? It could help take your mind off of all the shit that happened today."

Jonathan thought about it for a moment. He knew if he went home he would just spend the rest of his day worrying and overthinking. He decided a distraction would be nice. "Alright."

sorry y'all this chapter is kinda all over the place