Chapter 7

CHAPTER SEVEN

"Alright, alright, class is in session." A man whose face resembled more of a snake said. His yellow eyes scanned the gym where twenty students stood in white t-shirts and blue shorts. I stood against the wall with Juni by my side. All the other girls of the class were beside us. Combat classes were not my favorite since I was not very athletic. "I am not here to coddle you." Our teacher continued from the middle of the gym. "I will not kiss your boo-boos. I am here to teach you how to fight and if you pay an ounce of attention, you might learn something."

From across the gym I could see Sam rolled his dark eyes as he massaged his wrist. He was probably thinking that he had better things to do than sit in a basic combat class. The instructor zeroed in on the council president as Sam glanced at the ticking wall clock. A wicked grin tugged at the teacher's thin lips. "Mr. Wright, do you need to be somewhere?"

"Probably." Sam replied, running his fingers through his brown hair. He traded tight smiles with the older man. "But I'm all yours for the hour." A few students chuckled before straightening up in attention. I cupped the wall behind me, trying to blend in. I really hated this class. Our teacher frowned in response and pulled out his clipboard.

"Ms. Carter," Juni's head jumped up at the sound of her last name. Her chocolate brown eyes glared at the instructor. I glanced at her, I had yet to see her in a fight during this class. "You have the pleasure to wiping the floor with Mr. Wright. Congratulations." Sam gave the girl a side glance. Her bright green hair cupped her heart-shaped face. She was at least a foot shorter than Sam. The boy pursed his lips and raised his hand. The instructor sighed and reluctantly acknowledged him. "Yes, Mr. Wright, what is it this time?"

"I'm not fighting her." Sam declared. "I can snap her in half." Something flew through the air towards Sam. The boy waved his hand up, creating a bubble of water around the object still looking at the instructor. He turned and smirked at the weapon. A curved dagger hovered trapped in the water, aimed for his temple. The curvy marks on the hilt looked like butterfly wings. I jumped away from Juni as she stepped forward. Her arms were crossed as she glared at him. A smirk curved on Sam's handsome face. "Oh, little future seer has some bite."

"I wasn't even trying." Juni replied as she waved her fingers. The dagger in Sam's bubble disappeared and three more appeared in her hand. Sam cracked his neck. This was going to be interesting. The two stepped into the center of the room, slowly circling each other like lions preparing for a fight.

"Ladies first." Sam said, nodding to Juni. Her eyes narrowed again before she moved. For a moment, I lost sight of the her like she flickered in and out of existence. Sam flung his arm up to his right side, catching her kick. It knocked him back. She didn't wait for him to recover, slashing and swiping her daggers like they were extensions of her arms. Sam bobbed and weaved, trying to read her movements. Her facial expression turned stone cold, unreadable.

Sam's back collided with the wall as Juni pulled her arm back, ready to stab him. Waving his hand, a blob of water encased her foot and quickly froze, knocking her off balance. Sam ducked and rolled away as her dagger pierced the wall. A frustrated growl escaped her lips as she threw her dagger down, cutting the ice away from her foot. Sam panted as he placed his hand on the floor. The ice melted quickly and water droplets scurried to his side. Juni breathed softly as well as she tucked a bit of her hair behind her ear. She didn't wait this time.

Again, she moved with inhuman speed. Sam didn't move this time, catching her dagger as she tried to stab him in the back. He hooked his leg and tried to throw the girl but she dug one of her daggers in his leg. A sharp gasp escaped his lips as he fell down, dragging her with him. He rolled onto his back, trying to gain some ground but the pain in his leg stopped any quick movements. Juni sat on his stomach, one hand pressed against the wound on his leg, the other with a dagger to his neck.