Chapter 14

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

I could hear screaming, and yelling. It was loud. I forced my eyes open. The room was still dimly lit. I could feel the drugs coursing through my system. I couldn't even tell if there was anyone using Tama around me. All of my senses were corrupted, dimmed. I didn't like it. I felt like I couldn't even call my father for help.

I was on a bed in the room that I had not noticed before. My wrists were still raw from the zip ties but I at least had feelings in them now. The yelling was coming from outside of the room. Men's voices it seemed. I struggled to sit up, the sudden movement making me gag. I stopped moving and just focused on my breathing. In, out. I breathed in once more and put my feet on the cold linoleum once again. The tops of my feet were covered in thin trails of blood. I had been cut worse than I had thought. The yelling continued, it sounded like someone forgot to do something they should have.

I focused inward, toward my powers, felt them flare at the attention, then the drugs took hold and squashed them like a bug. I groaned, the sudden headache making me even more nauseous. I resisted throwing my cookies everywhere and went back to just breathing. There was a loud boom and the door crashed open. The yellow teethed guard fell to the ground. He quickly righted himself and faced the boiling anger on the other side.

There stood Jax, in his human form on the other side of the door. His shirt was torn in odd places and the black band that controlled his powers was sticking halfway out of his jeans pockets. The instant he spotted me, his eyes widened. He had no time to come over to me, because the guard had at last regained his footing.

Jax took a step into the room and from behind him another guard appeared with a knife and sword. He dodged the knife that was slashed towards him. His quick footing took him to one side of the room, the two guards by each other in the middle of the room. The new guard handed the yellow teethed guard an extra sword.

Before the men could react, Jax was between them, too close for swords. He crouched low, put his hands on the floor and spun. Using his legs, Jax windmilled both guards to the ground. I heard a clatter of metal, a whoosh of air and a curse before they both lay motionless. He gave the both of them a quick glance then he was running towards me, enveloping me in his sweet, earthy scent. Tears came to my eyes unbidden.

"Jax," I whispered, my voice hoarse from the doses of the drugs I had been given over and over.

"My little mouse," he whispered the endearment, he pulled slightly away and touched a warm hand to my bruised and battered face. The look in his eyes was menacing. I grasped his shirt in my fists as if he was my life preserver and buried my face in his chest and cried.

"How did you find me?" I whispered into his now drenched shirt.

"No matter where you go, I will find you. Even if you hide from me." His eyes were serious, unbidden, my heart skipped a beat and I tried to give him a smile. It came out shaky.

"Let's get you out of here." He helped me to my feet, wincing and growling at the same time as soon as he noticed all the blood I had everywhere. His eyes went back up to my cheek. It must have looked bad. It felt as if I was squinting at everything I was looking at. That side of my face felt heavy.

"What about the others?" I asked him thinking about the other three that had been taken before me.

"We've already got the others. We just needed to find you." His hand tightened around mine, helping me take one painful step at a time. The drugs were making me sluggish and the headache still was blaring in the depths of my skull. We made it to the door before he clicked his tongue. "I wish we had a healer in our group." He growled.