Chapter 20

Home.

The word was foreign in Aelin's mouth as the boat continued down the river, rocking under the calm currents that pushed them towards the Castle of Ornyth, which seemed to release a steady glow of torchlight, even from across the city. 

The docks, much like Rifthold's, were across the city from the towers looming over the town. But unlike Rifthold's, they were filled to capacity. Hundreds of boats bobbed in the water, and many curious glances looked up from their work to view the vessel passing by. 

Aelin had called and every person had responded. She spotted her cousin's crest flying high and proud on a nearby boat, flying just below the flag of Terrasen. In fact, every boat bore the same green flag of her homeland, flapping gently in the soft breeze. 

And as the boat gently stopped next to the wooden docks, Aelin allowed herself to hope. She was finally home. She had armies and friends at her side. Aelin turned to her right, glancing at the fae warrior standing proud by his queen's side. 

Noticing her stare, Rowan turned, a not-quite smile passing over his face as Lorcan and Gavriel secured the ship to the docks. Aelin felt herself grin, her rough, chapped lips slipping over the pointed canines. Buzzard. 

Rowan only rolled his eyes and pulled her closer to his side, cautious even among their allies. Aelin felt her mate inhale deeply before his response. Fireheart. 

Aelin smiled at the nickname, and allowed herself to be helped from the boat. No longer would she stand by herself. And so, Aelin took a deep breath of the pine and snow scent before pulling herself onto the deck. She glanced backwards, and saw several faces staring back to her. 

Elide's eyes glistened with hope as she made eye contact with Aelin, stepping out of the boat with assistance from Gavriel. The males followed soon after, eyes wide open and alert, yet calm for the first time in what felt like weeks. 

Fenrys and Connall were not there. They had stayed in the east, hoping to regroup Doranelle's armies to aid Terrasen. Aelin was grateful, but would miss the warrior whose snarky comments kept the mood light even during some of the darkest days. 

Smirking at the males and Elide, Aelin turned and marched down the dock, shoulders thrown back, eyes gleaming with pride and anticipation as she neared the city.

They were stopped before they could step onto the road. Several bored-looking warriors perked up at the strange band's approach, glancing first at the newcomers and then at each other. 

"Halt, and state your presence!" The first guard's voice echoed on the water as Aelin cocked her head, the movement purely feline. The guards wore Galan's uniforms, and leveled spears at the group as they approached, slowing. 

Rowan softly growled, the breezes stopping entirely as he viewed the weapons pointed at his queen. But Aelin did not slow as she approached, her eyes not entirely of this world as she smiled. 

The guards shifted, but stood their ground as Aelin scanned them. "I am gods-damned Queen Aelin Ashryver Galathynius." The guards visibly flinched at the name, but did not remove their spears. A bowstring groaned as it was pulled back, the archer's gaze not hovering from the queen. 

"Proof." He barked out, as blue and gold eyes fixed on him and glowed, as if lit from a fire inside the young woman. Aelin straightened, her gaze fixed on the archer as a crown of gold and orange flames appeared on her brow. She never stopped moving, her long strides placing her within stabbing distance of the guards. 

Rowan placed a hand low on Aelin's back as the soldiers gaped at the passing queen. The small entourage followed quickly, eyeing the guards who wisely backed away, gaping.