Chapter 27

Aelin had been on her way to find Elide when the world went to shit. 

The girl--woman--had looked sick during the meeting. Underneath her frown and half-lidded eyes, Aelin saw the gears and cogs spinning behind her intelligent gaze. A clever mask for the plan formulating beneath her darl head of hair. 

Aelin's fears had been confirmed when the Lady of Perranth had nearly sprinted out of the room with a furtive glance over her shoulder. Upon seeing the queen's gaze, Elide bobbed her head slightly and gestured nonchalantly with her hand. I need some air the movement seemed to say. 

Aelin smirked, but was not fooled. She had recognized the hidden thoughts and schemes behind Elide's gaze. It was one she saw every time she looked in the mirror. But Aelin just nodded back to the woman, who slipped out the doors, unnoticed.  

A glance to her right saw Lorcan subtly staring at Elide, who had departed without so much as a glance in the male's direction. 

With a smirk, Aelin left her seat and rounded the table. "I assume you have no idea where the lady is going?" He turned, snarling, and Aelin bristled at the possessiveness in Lorcan's scowl. 

"She's up to something. I have spent enough time with her to recognize that look." The immortal warrior looked back to the doors before continuing. "And I am assuming that you are also quite familiar with the deception, Queen." 

Rowan and Aedion walked in together a moment later, both making a beeline straight for Aelin. Their faces held no such security that Aelin had been looking for. 

Rowan kissed her gently on the cheek before stepping back. "The witch pledges loyalty but refuses to talk to anyone other than Manon."

"And.." 

"I do not trust her. It may be another attempt by Erawan to gain an upper hand in the war." Rowan's gaze was unrelenting. 

Aedion shrugged, the muscles in his shoulders shifting under his green tunic. Green for Terrassen, always. Aelin met her twin's gaze and tilted her head, asking for him to continue. 

"She's promising a legion of Ironteeth witches and their wyverns." Rowan nodded along with Aedion's statement, though a frown still remained plastered on his tattooed face. 

Fenrys, standing nearby, whistled. "An army like that could change the course of any war." Aelin nodded before turning back to Rowan. 

"Where are Manon and Dorian right now?" The male shook his head but smirked. 

"There is no telling where they and the Thirteen may be. Rallying the Crochans, maybe in the North?" Aelin could tell from Rowan's gaze that not knowing the information killed him. 

"The Curse from the last Crochan queen only cursed Ironteeth to stay away from the Western Wastes." Lorcan looked to Rowan as he stated the information. "So it would make sense that the Crochans could use the land still." 

Aelin turned to her consort, her mate, already hating the words about to come off her tongue. "I need you to bring them back." 

Rowan's green eyes widened as Lorcan and Fenrys wisely found the maps laid out on the table to be suddenly very interesting. 

"Fireheart." Her husband's eyes bored into her own, mouth opening in protest. 

"Rowan, I promised--" 

"Fireheart." It was not a question or complaint that stopped Aelin from continuing, but the look of pure hope in Rowan's eyes. "I will find them for you." 

Aelin blinked away tears as her wonderful, selfless mate continued. "And for Terrassen. And for Erilea. But most of all," Rowan paused to kiss away her tears. "For you. Let us others have some glory." He added while pulling away, tears still damp on his lips. 

After Empire of Stormsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें